News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effexor and Cannabis?

Wastrel - Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:41 pm

Does smoking up interfere at all with Effexor XR?

My doctor's had me on effexor since september of last year, and I've been a big pot smoker since before then, but my doc's really concerned that weed might be interfering with the effexor ... I personally don't think so, since I quit weed for december and didn't notice any change whatsoever in my mood.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:17 am

User avatar Hi Wastrel,
Effexor is an antidepressant and cannabis is a central nervous system depressant. So generally speaking, one would likely counteract the effects of the other.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Wastrel - Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:00 pm

Thanks, but what does that mean for me? How will this affect my mood?

And to what extent do they cancel each other out? Which substance is more potent?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:15 am

User avatar Hi Wastrel,
It would be impossible for me to give any sort of percentage of how much one would cancel out or effect the other since everyone metabolizes drugs etc. at a little different rate. However, since your doctor has expressed concern over this, you should be concerned as well. He/she is in a much better position to judge the effects than I. As for potency, if the drugs affected the system in the same way one could say this or that one is "more potent". The effects are opposite of each other. My apologies for not being more helpful.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here