Question: Psychogenic polydipsia

bettelou - Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:24 pm

I am so mad. I just came back from my family doctor and he maintains that I can' tfeel my feet because I am anxious and have been continuously hyperventilating for 6 weeks. I just can't bring myself to accept that. I have hyperventilated before during panic attacks and know what it feels like. I do not feel like that now. In addition, he believes that the excessive water drinking which nearly killed me last week is due to "psychogenic polydipsia". In other words, he thinks I have excessive thirst due to a psychiatric disorder. He is limiting me to one quart of total fluids a day. Am I really that mentally ill? Just because I have suffered from schizophrenia in the past, does that mean that everything that is physically wrong with me is in my mind? I tried to call my psychiatrist to check this out with her, and she is on vacation. I don't know what to do. I came home so angry. I rebelliously drank a 20 oz. tumbler of water. If I'm going to die, I don't want to die thirsty. Maybe I should just stop the Seroquel and go back to the state hospital where everybody IS crazy. I am so tired and depressed and angry trying to be taken seriously and be accepted in this society. If I weren't responsible for taking care of my elderly mother, I would probably do something desperate right now. But she needs me, so I will try to hang in. Bette
 Kathy C, RN - Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi Bettelou, I know how some people look upon mental illness and I am sorry you have had that experience in the past. I am assuming your physician did tests to rule out physical causes? Perhaps you could get a second opinion to set your mind at ease. Also follow up with your phychiatrists when they return.
Let me know how you do.

|