Question: Unexplainable fear sadness and irrational anger

nerdsense - Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:02 am

I have trouble with sudden and unexplainable deep waves of sadness/fear and sometimes irrational anger. I feel fine on the one hand, functioning well, but struggling with irrational toxic emotions that seem to have no source. I am unable to talk myself out of feeling this way, though I believe it will pass soon it is very troubling. I have been deeply depressed in the past but I worked through it. For at least a year now I have had excellent forward momentum without medication or medical intervention. Unfortunately I am also in college now and in the second day of accelerated courses which require a great deal of me and I cannot afford to be unable to concentrate. I don't know what is wrong with me, these feelings are strong but not eclipsing. They are more subversive, and paticularly odd because on the one hand I feel fine and strong but underneath there is a tremor of deep fear and sadness. I cannot explain where they are coming from.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Hello, nerdsense -

How distressing for you! It's difficult to pinpoint what may be causing your problems, but I'll try to address a few possibilities with you. You mentioned that you had experienced a deep depression in the past. Sometimes it happens that when a person has had one severe episode with depression, they are more likely to experience another episode of depression, though not necessarily as severe. Your symptoms could be related to an atypical depression episode. You also mentioned taking demanding, accelerated courses in college. That is certain stressful and can create real anxiety, which also could be contributing to your symptoms. There is a very remote possibility that your symptoms are a precursor for some other psychological disorders consistent with your age group. Please start and maintain a record of your symtpoms, when they occur, their severity, their duration, and what you're doing when they occur. Keep the record regardless of how many times your see your physician, and always let him or her see the record during your appointments. If you have not already done so, see your physician, discuss medications and which ones are least likely to affect your concentration levels, and if your symptoms are not well managed, discuss a referral for psychological evaluation to rule out any other contributing conditions. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

|