Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Effects of Panadol Extra

ANMM - Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:56 am

I find that taking two Panadol Extras before going to sleep results in deeper sleep and, more importantly, waking up in the morning very refreshed (hardly any drowsiness).
I understand that long term use of Panadaol risks liver damage, but presumably this is at high doses (i.e. 2 tablets every 8 hours).
My question is: what would the likely effects be of taking Panadol Extra at low doses over a long period e.g. 2 tablets for 5 nights a week, 11 months a year?
Thanks.
ANMM
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello ANNM,

I'm pleased that you have found an effective sleep aid. Were you having problems sleeping? If so, I'd encourage you to discuss what was happening with your doctor to rule out anything that he or she would need to address. You are correct that long term use of a low dosage would probably not be cause for concern, but do inform your doctor so he or she can monitor you and your liver function. The risk increases greatly with alcohol use, sensitivity to the medication, increased dosages to get the same effect you desire,and use in combination with certain other medications, which is another reason why you should be sure to discuss it with your doctor. Since chronic use can decrease glucose and hemoglobin/hematocrit levels, your doctor may choose to do routine CBCs. I hope this information has been helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

|