News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I Have Panic Attacks, Anxiety And Agoraphobia.

MrRx7s3 - Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:03 am

Hello Dr,
My name is Daniel I'm a 20 year old male from Sydney Australia, I have been diagnosed with Panic Attacks, Anxiety and Agrophobia, I am currently taking medication consisting of 2 and a half of Paxetine (paxil) once in the morning, half a Valium twice daily (morning and evening) and half a xanax if I really need it, I was Diagnosed in 2002 and I still have not improved, I cannot go anywhere on my own, and even when I'm with someone I can only travel approximately 5-10kms away from home from my Agoraphobia, I even have abit of OCD where I have to touch a few things here and there around my home, I am currently seeing a Phyciatrist and he prescribed the medication for me and told me to do a few relaxation exercises and breathing exercises and techniques but nothing seems to help, what do you recommend? I'm really getting frustrated by this.

Thank You For All Your Help In Advance.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Hello, MrRx7s3,

I am sorry to hear of the intensity of your problems. It is indeed very frustrating. It's time for you to have a discussion with your psychiatrist about your frustration with the lack of progress, and what is available for increased treatment. Seeing a psychologist for behavioral and talk therapy may be very beneficial to you. However, please understand that it will take time, effort and patience on your part. Progress can be steady - but slow. You might benefit from keeping a record on your calendar or in a log about what approaches you are using in treatment and the results you see. That helps you recall where you started, and what progress has actually been made. The OCD issues would be addressed at the same time, although they do not sound incapacitating at this time. Your doctor has given you good suggestions regarding relaxation techniques, which can be helpful, particularly when you are feeling the most stressed, but they obviously have not achieved the level of function that you desire; thus, the need for in depth discussion with your psychiatrist. If you would feel more secure having this discussion by having a parent along to help you advocate for yourself, then by all means do so. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here