News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Not comfortable outside around people.

me1982 - Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:06 pm

I have been uncomfortable leaving the house and especially getting around people that do not live with me. I have always been like this but it has gotten worse in the last 5 years or so. When I get around people I get very nervous, sweaty, turn red, if i do have to talk to someone, its always 1 word answers. If its a yes or no question i shake my head as an answer. If i have to go to the grocery store or somewhere like that, I go in and get out as quickly as possible, I do this because it cuts down on the chance that someone will come up to me and start talking to me. I don't go outside at home very much either. I went outside to cut the grass the other day and saw some kids from the neighborhood walking down the street, i stopped what i was doing and went back inside. I waited until the next morning to go out and finish. I haven't been able to work for 5 years because i cant bring myself to talk to anyone for interviews or even to ask for applications. I also havent had any friends for years. I had a couple at one point years ago, but they stopped hanging around because i would pretty much shut down when they came around. Any advice you could give to help with this or suggest something to do it would be greatly appreciated. I'm at the point i need to get this problem fixed and actually start having a life instead of sitting inside with not outside contact.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Hello me1982,

I'm very encouraged that you do go out and accomplish what you need to do! That shows a clear inner strength, and you should take pride in that. Your social anxiety is very hard on you, but it is treatable, through medication and therapy. If you have not talked with your doctor about it, please do. Your local public mental health agency will have appropriate services for you, and cost is generally based on your ability to pay. It's likely that there is group treatment for persons with similar diagnoses, in which you may learn again to interact more comfortably with others. Taking the first step of making those calls is difficult, but it's important. Please do it right away.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here