Question: My friend has Multiple Personality Disorder & I want to help

bella16 - Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:09 pm

I need help regarding a friend who has Multiple Personality Disorder.

When we were getting to know each other, he told me about being bullied physically as a kid. He said he learned to literally numb himself when that happens, but that resulted for him to forget major chunks from his memory. I think he was depressed for a time too, and before there were many times when he couldn't sleep for days--like 7.8 days or something.

But the problem is he lives in Texas and I live in Nevada. So I don't know how I can help him.
My only contact with him was through facebook, texting, calling and chatting, but the 'other personalities' severed all of his communication with me today.

He said his parents doesn't know he's discovered multiple personality disorder and I've tried to message his father once, but he said he created one of them, and that there's nothing wrong with him. His father said that my friend goes into character sometimes and "shares stories" and the family enjoys them. I'm guessing that he refuses to listen.

I've read some of his stories and they were magnificent indeed, but I don't think there's anything enjoyable when my friend's 'other personality' said to me, "I'm sorry for the late explanation but I had to wait 'til your friend fell in the shower. Your friend became too affectionate for you and [because of that, it could possibly ruin our plan]. We cannot let your friend die and he will if he deviates from our plan."

He sent me that through a really long text. And afterwards I called him on the phone. Surprisingly he answered, but I wasn’t talking to my friend; Apparently I was talking to another one of his personalities. He told me that my friend was "gone at the moment" and that they cannot tell me about the plan. They insisted that I do not contact him again or "he will be in danger".

He wouldn't tell me about the 'plan' and I don't think it's a joke. I'm afraid he might be in danger of himself and that he might suffer from this for a very long time. I wish it was as easy as believing his father that this was all just “getting into character” but after I researched a bit about the disorder today, it was only then that I realized that he had a lot of the symptoms, based on what he’s told me about his past.

I don't know why I care about him, but I still do, even after all this. And I don't know what to do anymore. I don't really care if he doesn't want to talk to me anymore; I only want to make sure that he will be safe.

Can you help me? What am I dealing with here? Is there something that I can do?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:33 pm

Hello bella16,

It's very thoughtful of you to be concerned for your friend. I want to caution you, however, about becoming any more involved than you have. Your friend's father is aware of the situation and has contact with him. The actual diagnosis of what you call multiple-personality disorder is very rare, but there are personality disorders that have aspects that sound like multiple-personality symptoms. What you have described simply doesn't sound like the real thing. I am also concerned because this is all based on a Facebook friendship, where many unusual and untrue stories are told. Even if every word he has said is true and even if he did have multiple-personality issues, there is nothing that you can do to help him. Allowing him to call you and manipulate you into involvement of some kind is not helpful in treating such a diagnosis. Bottom line, the only thing you can do is that if you feel he is in danger, call the police in his area and report it, and let the professionals take it from there. I urge you to "unfriend" this person, and focus on your own life. That would be the most helpful to him in helping him to have to face his own issues. I hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you.
 bella16 - Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:35 am

This post was approved waaaayyy after I actually posted it lol.

Yeah I actually don't talk to him anymore. I figured whether if he made it all up or if it's actually real, I can't do anything unless he wants me to help. All I can do right now is pray for him.

But thank you anyways! :)
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Hello, bella16,

You are right - I should have apologized for the delay in the response. It was not a matter of being approved, but of manpower (or womanpower). I'm glad to hear that you're moving on while wishing your friend well. It's really the best for both of you.
Thank you for letting us know that you're okay, and I apologize for the tardy response to your first post, as well as the delay in this one. Good luck to you.

|