News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Do I have a sleep disorder?

hlb - Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Hello, I have many problems associated with sleep, I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I need medical help. First off, I am always tired no matter how much I sleep. I can sleep 5, 8, 12 hours and still feel tired during the day. I have a little bit of trouble falling asleep, I have to wait until I'm exhausted until I can fall asleep after about a half hour. My biggest problem is my dreams. I have excessive dreaming, I dream every night and dream through the whole night. I never have pleasant dreams, they are always frightening or unsettling. They are also vivid, and I can always recall them after I've woken up. I've tried to get rid of these, by having a normal sleep pattern, reading something pleasant before i go to sleep, not having late night snacks, but nothing works. I wonder if I might have sleep apnea, I used to when i was younger, but I'm not sure if I still have it. Some things that go on with me are: I wake up with a very dry mouth, I have a sore throat a lot, I snore and mumble in my sleep, my nose is completely stuffed when I wake up and I can't even breathe out of it, I move a lot when I sleep, my legs have a crawling sensation sometimes when I try to sleep. I would really appreciate some help on this so I can get a good night's sleep again. Thanks, hlb.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello, hlb,

Your description of your sleep difficulties does indicate that you need a medical evaluation, including a sleep study. The sleep study would document any apnea, wakefulness, duration of REM sleep, and restless leg syndrome. What you are experiencing is not a normal situation, and is treatable. The degree of severity of the sleep study findings would determine if you needed CPAP as well as medication. I urge you to see your doctor and discuss your situation thoroughly, and request a sleep study.

I hope this is helpful.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here