News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: personality changes?

 tonytriker - Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 am

i need to know what type of disorder i have. I change my personality to get what i want or to fit in. I get jobs this way. Woman this way and free things this way. I can read people and change to make them like or evern love me. it sounds great but it is not. it has got stronger as i got older and now im alone with no one who I really like. I need to know what i may have. I feel no remose to anyone. I feel i have no feelings. However I have never got in to fights i have always talked my way out off trouble and even had them shake my hand. This also includes the Law. I have a high sex drive. i don't do violance but i know if i am in a situration where i could get seriously hurt i would not think twice about taking them out.

any ideas of what i may have so i can see some one.

 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:58 pm

Hello, tonytriker,

First, I want you to know that you have a major advantage in dealing with whatever your disorder turns out to be, and that is that you have insight into your difficulties and recognize what you are doing. That is a very, very major factor in your favor, and for the likelihood of a successful treatment outcome.

Your description suggests that you may have a type of personality disorder, but it would require much further evaluation before that actually be determined. People can fall into maladaptive behaviors such as you describe without having a major disorder, or it can mean that there are features of a personality disorder. It depends on the consistency and severity of the symptoms.

You can request a referral from your doctor to a psychologist for a thorough evalutaion of your symptoms, or you can get services through a local public mental health agency. Discuss psychological testing with your assigned therapist. I commend you for your willingness to seek appropriate treatment.

Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions
advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application



Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2017
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here