Question: Insomnia, with what appears to be jolts of adrenaline

Web1986 - Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:58 am

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

Im a 23 year old male, with no intense medical or surgical history (left foot had a good bit of surgery in 2007 having a fifth metatarsal osteotomy, paraneal tendon repair, and correction of calcanus displacement). What my question deal with is for the past 5 weeks I've developed a sleep problem, as in I'm tired yet it's hard to fall asleep and when I do have the chance I get sudden jolts of what feels to be adrenaline and then I'm wide awake again. It's not uncommon for me lately to stay awake 30-40 hours no matter what I do. I keep a non stimulating environment in my room, I don't feel to be stressed out or depressed (though in November my best friend died). My daily activities are 3-5 hours in the gym/boxing/jiujitsu everyday except on Sunday. I keep a healthy diet and don't eat passed 10 pm, only drinking water and Gatorade. I've tried taking over the counter medication but I'm not getting any relief with these medicines. If you have any ideas of what could help or specialist I should see specifically I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello, Web1986,

Your sleep difficulties could be an atypical depressive reaction to your friend's death, but before pursuing that evaluation, I encourage you to see your doctor and discuss having a sleep study to determine exactly what is happening. The sleep study would evaluate all aspects of your sleep, including REM duration, awakenings, restless leg syndrome, sleep apnea and any other events that might occur. If the sleep study is inconclusive, then discuss with your doctor an evaluation for possible depression, or he/she may have some other avenues to suggest, such as a neurological evaluation. It would be best to make an appointment now, since early intervention in determining the problem and instituting prompt treatment is the best route to successful resolution.

Good luck to you!

|