Question: Adult ADD

mikhale - Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:33 am

I have recently visited a psychiatrist for ADD. At the beginning of the session he told me that he didn't believe in ADD. After an hour and a half of him rambling about himself, leaving me only to nod and occasionally agree or disagree, he diagnosed me as having anxiety, being the cause of my inattention. He only asked me 2 questions, was I picked on in school and was I nervous about seeing him. He gave me a prescription for Lexapro and didnt explain what it was. After looking up what the drug was for, I called him back and said "I don't want to take this because, this is not my problem". He immediately said "You worried about your medication? that's your anxiety". I told him " No I look up all my medications". Honestly, I laughed at him, this notion was ridiculous. I'm not depressed and don't have anxiety, then he told me I was in denial, this got me extremely frustrated. Given that he didn't ask me anything about my attention symptoms and just diagnosed anxiety. How would you suggest I choose a doctor that will listen to me and actually talk about my symptoms and not their own professional agenda?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:22 pm

Hello mikhale,

What a frustrating experience for you! Sometimes we meet a doctor who is not a good match for our particular personality, just as we do in other walks of life. The best thing to do, since you've already discussed it with him, is what you'd like to do already: consult a different doctor. I don't know what your doctor's thoughts were about the particular medication that he prescribed; perhaps he viewed it as a starting point. Sometimes an anti-anxiety/antidepressant medication is used with ADD, but most generally as adjunct therapy. You can call your local Medical Association and ask for the name of physicians who are well-versed in the treatment of ADD, and/or you can seek services through a public mental health agency, which can help you both with treatment and with identifying a selection of physicians in the community with whom they work effectively in the treatment of ADD. When you first meet a physician who is new to you, you may not feel that you're totally in tune. However, it's usually worth it to give it some time, as relationships take time to develop - even doctor/patient relationships. You might decide not to take that approach with the doctor you describe, but certainly keep it in mind for the future.

Good luck to you.

|