Question: has weed turned me mad?

primitiveproductions - Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:14 pm

3 weeks ago i smoked some pot and had a panic attack. ever since nothing feels right and i have be having spells depersonalisation, constant anxiety over nothing, dark intrusive thoughts, nightmares, severe headaches, short term memory loss and depression my biggest fear is that this will never go away can you help and is this common? i think the anxiety is a built up over the symptoms of anxiety i have if that makes sense, like the other day i thought my regular headaches could mean i have a brain tumour then i was adamant i needed an mri scan to make sure which made me more anxious. plus this wasnt the first time ive smoked pot i have done it quite a lot over the last 5 years atleast once a week. could i be schizophrenic? i have heard that to think im schizophrenic means im not but it didnt even cross my mind till i heard it could be a sign of schizophrenia. another thing is one of the only things i see for marijuana risks is that constant long term use can lead to schizophrenia where are the health warnings for this as it has really made a sudden devastating impact on my life? please help me prior to any replies your help is appreciated
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:12 pm

Hello, primitiveproductions,

I'll try to give you some general information regarding use of marijuana. The psychoactive effects can include euphoria, anxiety, short term memory loss, disruption of thought, depersonalization, and can induce extreme anxiety, such as panic attacks. Long term effects on memory is not confirmed, as such effects can be caused by multiple other factors. The potential for increased risk of schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and major depressive disorders has been considered, but is not confirmed and is disputed. The psychoactive effects are subjective and vary from person to person. Most cannabis is fat soluble, or easily stored in body fat, thus can be long lasting, being detectable from 3 to 10 days after use, depending on the frequency of use. Frequent users do build tolerance to the drug and its effects. Health warnings are generally given on prescribed and regulated over the counter drugs; if your marijuana was legally prescribed, you would have received information on medical warnings. If not prescribed, the warnings are variably available in public forums and require that you search them out. Evaluation of your symptoms by your physician is advisable, and you may receive assistance through your local mental health agency. Such agencies generally base the cost on your ability to pay. I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you good luck.

|