Question: Post-natal depression??

DeanSmith - Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:45 pm

My partner and I have been together for 3 years, we have a 10 month old daughter... the last month or 2, things seemed different. My partner started to go out drinking a lot and didnt seem her usual self. I then discovered she was on Anti depressants from the doctor for postnatal depression and stress etc. Last week, she told me that she didnt feel the same about me anymore and hadnt for a few weeks and wanted to end our relationship... Is it possible/likely that the PND and depression issues have confused her and she doesnt know her own feelings towards me or is it likely that her not loving me anymore may have just added to the pressure of PND, i really don't want to lose her, not only for the sake of our daughter but because i still love her. We have been living together for around 18 months... any help is much appreciated
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Hello, DeanSmith,

Depression in itself can affect one's clarity of thought to a degree from mild to severe. However, relationship issues can also contribute to symptoms of depression. It is absolutely contraindicated to use alcohol while taking antidepressants. Couple's therapy may help you clarify the issues involved in your relationship. If your partner is not willing to consider therapy with you, by all means seek therapy for yourself for assistance in coping with the situation. Ask for a referral from your doctor, or contact your local mental health agency for assistance. Such agencies generally base their charges on the client's ability to pay ("sliding scale"). If you are unable to resolve the relationship issues, by all means consider obtaining legal advice to best protect your interests with your daughter. I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you all the very best.

|