News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I have a desperate need for attention - please help!

xyleena - Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Hello, I am a 15 year old female in need of some advice or guidance.
I always feel the need to have attention - sympathy to be exact... I always make up things about myself, wether it be I am sick or have some sort of problem, just so I can get attention and sympathy from other people. I often use the fact that I suffered from ALL to get attention from others, and I can't seem to stop doing it. I don't know why I do this or why I have this "craving" for attention, but I would like to know if this is maybe some sort of disorder, or if I should see a therapist about this issue, if necessary. Any and all advice would be very greatly appreciated - I don't like lying about myself to loved ones but can't seem to stop! Please help!!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Hello xyleena,

Dealing with the diagnosis of ALL can be difficult in itself, and attention can be reassuring. However, when it becomes troubling to you, it's time to investigate further. Once receiving such attention becomes a habit, it's harder to stop, and it can become competitive with others in the family. It can also be a symptom of anxiety. While it's possible that a disorder, such as a developing personality disorder or anxiety disorder, is possible, it's really much too early to suggest that. The first step is to discuss it with your doctor. A referral to a therapist would be helpful, both to help identify what is contributing to this behavior, and to help developing alternate methods of coping and/or getting appropriate attention. It may be helpful to maintain a diary of when your attention seeking occurs, what was happening when you sought attention, how you felt when you got the attention, and any other information that you feel might be important. Take your diary with you to medical and/or therapy appointments; it also may help you see for yourself how frequently it is actually happening. I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you the best of luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here