News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Repeating things again and again

mrdudetech - Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:56 am

Hi,

I have a repetition problem for past 2 years. Means i am seeing the watch time again and again, seeing and reading the name like samsung in TV...etc...and i am interconnecting things. I roll my eyes and see it again.Some times i know that my mobile is nokia, but i will see it again,excite my self and see it again. I was not able to control it and i was extremely depressed and stresses. I consulted a psychiatrist and im taking "zosert 100g" tablets for past 8 months. I got a little relief and i controlled my repetation seeing time and other things to some extent. But i am not able to fully recover and im still doing things in the same way. I am Telecom engineer working in a reputed company. I am doing these things in front of others too which is making a bad impression on me. But i am not able to solve this.

Actually in my college days i came across much more failures in what ever i do and love failure too, so during my college life of 4 years i was totally in a depressed condition, but i was not doing these repetation in my college days. I am just giving this details because this may also have meade me to this situation.

I am 25 yrs old and at the age of marriage, but i am sacred to get married because of this problem. I don't know how to get rid of this. I need help for getting rid of this problem.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Hello, mrdudetech,

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a type of anxiety disorder. The anxiety consists of unreasonable thoughts and/or fears that are known as "obsessions." The obsessions lead the person to do repetitive behaviors known as "compulsions." The person experiencing OCD may try to stop these behaviors, which increases the person's level of anxiety. Obsessions are generally theme-based, such as a fear of germs that leads to compulsive cleaning and hand washing. The repetitive behaviors lead to performing rituals, and develops into the vicious cycle of OCD. There is effective treatment available, consisting of psychotherapy and medications. The most successful treatment includes both. The most effective psychotherapy is known as cognitive-behavioral therapy. It involves helping the person retrain their thought patterns and routines so that anxiety is reduced and the compulsive behaviors are no longer needed. Medications that have been the most effective are usually anti-depressants, which include sertratine, or Zoloft/zosert, that you are currently taking. Many other antidepressants and psychotropic medications may be successfully used. Trial and error in identifying the most effective medication and establishing the most effective dosage is not unusual. It's important to always inform the physician of all medications that you take, including supplements and over-the-counter (non-prescription) medications. Frequent contact with both doctor and therapist will be needed for the most successful result in treatment. I hope this information is helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here