Question: Feeling lightheaded a lot and feelings of derealization

iyla9 - Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:10 pm

I feel lightheaded a lot during the day and occasionally get symptoms of what i think are either derealization or brain fog. I am inside a lot of the day and do not go outside too often and i get lightheaded a lot (not too severe though) and think that this may be from being inside so often. I have been checked a couple times at the hospital for blood pressure and have done blood work and everything came out fine. I generally eat healthy and exercise a few times a week. I also always have pressure-like feeling in both of my ears and am not sure if this has anything to do with the problem. Just by even opening my mouth wide my ears begin to make these noises and it feels almost as if i am about to pop them. I have had these symptoms for nearly a year and cannot find out what is wrong. I used to get derealization symptoms very often but not as much anymore, now i just feel 'lightheaded' more often, and the 'popping' in my ears is always there. I have been told by my counsellor to try mindfulness in everyday life and deep breathing exercises and neither have helped much, and i eat a healthy diet and exercise often. Can a doctor please state some of the "problems" he/she thinks i may have and some of the things i can do to minimize these symptoms? Thanks.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Hello iyla9,

I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. Seeing a counselor was a very good step in the right direction to finding an answer to your problem. When vague or unusual symptoms arise and persist, it can be difficult to identify the cause. I always encourage people to keep a daily record of their symptoms, including the time they start, the duration, what the person was doing when the symptom began, what if anything helped relieve it or made it worse, and any other data that seems significant to you. Always take the record to your medical and counselling appointments. Since an answer has not yet been identified, it would make sense to see your physician for a thorough physical examination. A neurological evaluation and a rheumatological evaluation may be indicated, to rule out any neurological or autoimmune conditions. "Brain fog" is a common complaint in certain autoimmune conditions, such as Fibromyalgia. It likely is also time to have a psychological evaluation by a psychologist. If you have not already done so, having your doctor or dentist evaluate you for "TMJ" or temporo-mandibular joint inflammation or displacement. I hope this information is helpful to you. Good luck to you.

|