Question: i feel detached from the world

se7en - Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:12 pm

i am 26 yo male on mirtazapine 25 mg. These days i kinda feel very detached from the world. when i am out with friends i feel like everything happening around me is not real and i feel like i am inside a bubble. Having said that I still manage to carry on doing things and people don't really notice or at least they havnt told me that i am not well. But i feel like i am going crazy in my head as this feeling of detachment is very frightning. Can a doctor tell me wether its harmful to feel this way and is there a way out?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Hello, se7en,

A feeling of detachment can be a symptom of depression, or an adverse reaction to mirtzapine, or an indication that a higher dosage or mirtazapine is needed, or that another medication may be indicated. This is a lot of possibilities, and need to be evaluated by your doctor. It's important not to use alcohol while taking this medication, and it's also important to take the medication exactly as prescribed. It can be very helpful to maintain a record of your symptoms, including what the symptom is, when it started, how long it lasted, what was happening at the time it began, what helped relieve it or made it worse, and any other data that seems important to you. Always take your record to your medical appointments. Individual therapy may be helpful, and if your symptoms persist, a psychological evaluation with testing may be indicated. Please consult your doctor at the earliest opportunity. If you feel like harming yourself or others, seek help immediately, from your doctor or local mental health agency/crisis center. Good luck to you!

|