Question: i want to be own self again

hlpamy - Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:19 am

for the last few months i have felt i have been worthless, hopeless,like a waste material.. now i am not able to concentrate even on smallest tasks like doing a simple math problem of addition.i have to manually count using my fingers.i am shouting at others. getting restless at no reason.feeling very anxious sometimes.can't be happy even when things are going my way. i am afraid of people.getting irritated easily.not even feeling worthy about self.simply getting negative thoughts all the time for no reason.hurting every one around me. blaming myself a lot. i was a topper once.now nothing interests me. i always used to get straight A's and 90% above in class and now im unable to get even a 70% . i am not loving my studies.its like i have lost touch with them. i am not feeling myself anymore.i am blaming myself to that extent that i have started calling myself a mental patient and using mean and bad words. i have to get back to my life which i love the most. i always loved life.i am 22.please help me.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello, hlpamy,

Your symptoms are consistent with major depression. Such symptoms can include feelings of worthlessness, self blame, irritability, anxiety, inability to concentrate, desire to harm self or others, feelings of hopelessness, altered sleep patterns, altered appetite with either weight gain or weight loss, and feelings of sadness. Major depression is fairly common in high-functioning students, and there is effective treatment. There are four major neurohormones in the brain; when one or more becomes depleted, major depression is the result. Anti-depressants are categorized to address such depletion. The constellation of symptoms generally indicates to the doctor which antidepressant is most likely to be effective, although there may be need to change an antidepressant due to individual response. The ideal treatment includes both medication and individual therapy. Many people start with their usual doctor, and then either have him or her make a referral to a psychiatrist, or to a local mental health agency which can provide both psychiatric and psychological services. Such agencies generally base their charges on the person's ability to pay ("sliding scale"). I encourage you to see your doctor as soon as possible. It's also helpful to keep a diary of your symtoms, including the nature of the symptom, when it occurs, what helps relieve it or what makes it worse, the duration, and any other data that is bothering you. I very much hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

|