Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Citalopram and monthly period.

SimplyFree - Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 am

I am 49 yrs old and have been taking antidepressants for mild depression for approx. 20 yrs. I began taking them when I was married to a mentallly abusive alcoholic and was very stressed. I was divorced in 2001, and continued to take the meds. Since 2006 I have been taking citalopram (20 mg. daily). I have often wondered if I needed to continue to take medication for depression. I have noticed since 2006 that my monthly periods have begun to slow in frequency. So far this year, I have had 1 period, in March. I read in the info that came with my prescript that it could be a side effect of the medication. If I stop taking antidepressants, will my periods return to normal or is it leading to early menopause?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:35 pm

This medication would not affect your periods but it is very likely you could be in the perimenopausal period when menses often change in regularity and/or volume of blood lost. These symptoms often begin as much as ten years prior to the actual cessation of periods. Menopause is usually defined as one full year without periods.

|