News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Citalopram and monthly period.

SimplyFree - Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 am

I am 49 yrs old and have been taking antidepressants for mild depression for approx. 20 yrs. I began taking them when I was married to a mentallly abusive alcoholic and was very stressed. I was divorced in 2001, and continued to take the meds. Since 2006 I have been taking citalopram (20 mg. daily). I have often wondered if I needed to continue to take medication for depression. I have noticed since 2006 that my monthly periods have begun to slow in frequency. So far this year, I have had 1 period, in March. I read in the info that came with my prescript that it could be a side effect of the medication. If I stop taking antidepressants, will my periods return to normal or is it leading to early menopause?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
This medication would not affect your periods but it is very likely you could be in the perimenopausal period when menses often change in regularity and/or volume of blood lost. These symptoms often begin as much as ten years prior to the actual cessation of periods. Menopause is usually defined as one full year without periods.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here