News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: i cant sleep

gepsomething - Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:01 pm

i cant sleep and when i fall asleep i woke up with a scream.i saw nightmares.but iwoke up without nightmares with a scream too.when im not sleeping i feel like im loosing my mind. can you please help me.and also i have night terrors too.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Hello gepsomething,

You aren't alone in what you are experiencing. Once a person's sleep cycle has been so disrupted, it can take medical assistance to restore your usual or restful pattern. Nightmares and abrupt awakenings create anxiety, and anxiety contributes to nightmares, abrupt awakenings and sleep deprivation. It becomes a vicious cycle. With night terrors, the person wakes abruptly from sleep, and may experience gasping, moaning, or screaming while awakening. When the abrupt wakening occurs, the person has been in slow wave sleep. The awakening and any nightmares are usually not recalled by the person. This condition is less common in adults. Treatment may consist of psychotherapy, antidepressants and/or sleep medications. The goal is to identify any source of the initial anxiety, and to adjust the sleep cycle so that adequate sleep is restored.

The symptoms that you describe do seem consistent with anxiety and night terrors. The best step is to see a doctor and tell him or her exactly what has been happening. Initial treatment is likely to be antidepressant therapy, which will help regulate the sleep cycle. If that doesn't control your symptoms, the doctor may request a sleep study to determine exactly what's happening when you sleep. It's helpful to keep a daily record of your symptoms, including what happened, how long it lasted, what helped or made it worse, and any other information that you thing is important. Take your record to all medical appointments until your sleep problem is resolved and you're feeling back to usual.

Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here