News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Feeling frustrated out of life

rohit - Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:51 am

Hi,
I am a 28 yr old unmarried software engineer. I have a peculiar problem. I am getting fed up with any particular kind of stuff in my daily life. Even I am not able to carry out my job properly due to this. Sometimes I feel very much irritated. I left my past job and this was one of the major reason apart from salary concern. I want to try out different kind of activities still get distracted due to no significant improvement. I tried to learn guitar. Learnt for 3 to 4 months. Then I tried swimming. Learnt for 2 months then I felt bored. I feel I am not having the kind of mental strength to gain expertise in any particular activity. I am having a few friends and no girl friends. I am shy and don't talk to girls frequently. I don't look so good so i think girls don't make friendship with me. I liked a few girls in my life and most of the time it was infatuation only but no commitment was possible. One example is I fell in love with my own boss in the past organization. She got engaged i felt frustrated, she got married i felt even more frustrated. After one year she got pregnant i was very much frustrated. Though she was very rude still I loved her . Before leaving the organization I told her that I loved her. She got irritated and told me "you are matured,talk some sense, I am your boss, you need to see a psychiatrist". She won't understand this and was more concerned on the job done by me.Still I love her now. I feel like I would embrace her and won't let her go. I also get frustrated when my childhood girlfriends are getting married and having babies. Though I am financially good since I am having a job, I don't feel I can start a family now. Please help me out of this.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:31 am

Hello rohit,

I can see from your description that you have many troubling concerns in your life. As time goes on and you aren't able to overcome them, you focus on them even more. It's probably too much for you to handle on your own, and the best approach really would be to see a therapist. Please see your doctor as soon as you can, and talk with him or her very honestly about your concerns, and he or she may see a need to refer you to a therapist. If your doctor thinks that medication may help you, he or she may prescribe it or may prefer to have you see a psychiatrist. Whenever our concerns become overwhelming, it's best to see an expert, and that is what a psychiatrist is: an expert in helping with emotional problems. A therapist is an expert in helping you talk through your issues and learn different ways of coping. It's always difficult to care deeply about someone who doesn't return our feelings, and speaking with your doctor and a therapist can help you through such difficulties. If you are worried about having a psychiatric condition, please try to look at it in a new way: if you had a broken leg, you would have a doctor evaluate it and provide the right treatment. Having a "broken" emotion or emotional concern is no different; you would see the doctor to have it evaluated, and a therapist is part of the treatment. I very much hope this is helpful to you.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here