Question: Anxiety Disorders

DrJay - Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:02 pm

I suffered from anxiety as a child, which is the top reason I am becoming a psychiatrist as an adult. 8/10 of people I see in my classes have anxiety or depression. Most take an SSRI, some SNRI or even an MAOI. Serious cases are benzos. I am on an antidepressant for myself, as-well. I take a very small dosage of Sertraline HCI (zoloft) of 12.5MG. This is half of the smallest pill. I have seen people who take 25mg of sertraline and have terrible side effects. Mostly sexual, headaches, flu symptoms, bleeding (with aspirin), weight gain, etc. I am very anti-pharmaceutical. Coming off of these drugs is hell. Electric shock sensations, dizziness, fatigue, anger, anxiety, crying, flu symptoms. etc. Even if you ween off of it. Not a huge fan of the "serotonin imbalance" theory. But imbalances do cause illness, take diabetics. They have an imbalance. But that's proven. If you go to your doctors office with symptoms of diabetes, you won't walk away with insulin. You will get a test. But with anxiety and depression, there is no test. They just assume you have an imbalance of serotonin in your brain and mild alerting antidepressants will block the re-uptake and cure it. Not true. Anxiety affects 40 million Americans, double as common as depression. It stinks. I know, constant tension, obsessive thoughts, social fear... I lived with it. But Pfizer and GlaxoSmithKline drill in people's heads the serotonin imbalance. Yet, no study has proven this the one cause of anxiety and depression. This is what I find amusing. We can go to the moon, cure cancer, understand exactly how organs work, be able to talk to someone across the globe, look at things millions of miles away and yet we aren't able to find the cause of the most common disorders. I find this shocking and sad that we can't do this. The drug companies control the FDA. These cooperate bastards rule the country. They don't care if you're killing yourself, someone else, get addicted, they just care "how much money we can make now" not saving people's lives and curing cancer. Money.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello Dr. Jay,

Since theory and research are constantly evolving, perhaps one day an explanation more satisfactory to you will be available. Meanwhile, the treatment of depression is according to APA standards. If people were machines, it would be a straightforward matter to resolve such issues; as it is, we are complex beings and building that rocket won't address mental health issues. It's good that you were able to tolerate your symptoms, but not everyone is so fortunate since not everyone is the same. Good luck in your pursuit of the psychiatric profession, and I wish you both empathy and understanding.

Thanks for sharing.

|