Question: i mentally cannot do a back handspring

simplecuriosity - Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

i was wondering why i am mentally afraid to do a backhandspring on my own
i can do the back handspring when i THINK somebody is behind me
but when they step away and i know they have then i freak out
its like im afraid of something
but i have no idea what exactly im afraid of because i have never gotten hurt from going over backwards and i know i could do it on my own

ive been afraid ever since i started, about a year ago.

how do i get over my fear, when i don't even know what im afraid of?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi simplecuriousity,

Your description of anxiety when you know no one is there to help you may be cyclic, in that the more you worry about your fear, the more the fear occurs. The root of such anxiety can be something very simple, but identifying it probably wouldn't be a simple process. The fact that you have no difficulty when there is stand-by assistance suggests a lack of confidence in your ability that has expanded to the point that you "freak out" when there is no stand-by assistance. It may help you to speak with a coach or counselor, or with your doctor. If it persists, your doctor might suggest a short term of talk and/or behavioral therapy. I do admire your ability to do back flips! Take pride in your ability, since so many others are simply unable to do them, whether they have confidence or not.

Good luck to you!

|