News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: i mentally cannot do a back handspring

simplecuriosity - Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:10 pm

i was wondering why i am mentally afraid to do a backhandspring on my own
i can do the back handspring when i THINK somebody is behind me
but when they step away and i know they have then i freak out
its like im afraid of something
but i have no idea what exactly im afraid of because i have never gotten hurt from going over backwards and i know i could do it on my own

ive been afraid ever since i started, about a year ago.

how do i get over my fear, when i don't even know what im afraid of?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi simplecuriousity,

Your description of anxiety when you know no one is there to help you may be cyclic, in that the more you worry about your fear, the more the fear occurs. The root of such anxiety can be something very simple, but identifying it probably wouldn't be a simple process. The fact that you have no difficulty when there is stand-by assistance suggests a lack of confidence in your ability that has expanded to the point that you "freak out" when there is no stand-by assistance. It may help you to speak with a coach or counselor, or with your doctor. If it persists, your doctor might suggest a short term of talk and/or behavioral therapy. I do admire your ability to do back flips! Take pride in your ability, since so many others are simply unable to do them, whether they have confidence or not.

Good luck to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here