News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I can't look at sweat.

doctorsX - Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:59 pm

I can't look at someone who is sweating, i have to look away. It makes me sick when i see it, i feel it in my throat and i want to throw up, my stomach feels gross when i see sweat.

I didn't know to put this,this seems the best place,but i don't think its about psychiatric because it has a phyiscal reaction to me.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Hello doctorsX,

Your response to viewing sweat does suggest that you have a phobia, which is an anxiety condition. A physical response to a psychological trigger is quite common. It does fall into the arena of psychology and psychiatry. If a psychologist or psychiatrist evaluates your situation and decides that it is a phobia, which seems very likely, then treatment would probably consist of an antidepressant and/or an anti-anxiety medication, with talk and behavioral therapy. Phobias can worsen and have a negative effect on a person's overall level of functioning. I encourage you to speak with your doctor, or schedule an appointment for psychological evaluation to determine the exact issue so that any necessary treatment can begin and that intensifying of your situation can be avoided.

Good luck to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here