Question: OCD : Side Effects of Clonazepam Dispersible Tablets

karthikaravind - Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:44 pm

My OCD started in mid year 2006 and I did not know it was OCD till 2009 June

1. It was mild and the only thought I was getting was "when ever I see a picture of a GOD I have to stop , pray and then proceed other wise I will get a thought like I will not succeed in the activity for which I am going - it was what ever activity I am going - exam , meet a person , catch a train etc...)

2. Then in year 2007 it was like I got some thoughts like I have to keep things in symmetry. So I would rearrange things till I get satisfied.This was affecting me more that the previous thought mentioned in above point - point 1 . In addition to point no.2 I continued to have point No.1

3.Then around year 2008 beginning it interfered in almost every activity. for example: (1) I take a pen to write some thing in my note and I get a thought that some one close to me will meet with accident / will die (2) If I am studying for an exam , When I turn the page some thoughts like failing in the exam will come. So I have to turn to the previous page read the entire content and come back to the next page.(3) If i take a phone to make a call , I may get a thought I will fail in the exam or I will kicked out of company or some one close to me will meet with an accident or the things like watch/computer/ mobile phone kept in the house in which I am staying will be stolen or any kind of unwanted thoughts will come then I have to cut the phone call ( well before getting connected or even while speaking) and then redial. (4) I will do any activity and If a bad thought or a negative thoughts come then I have to reverse what ever activity I am doing and do it again. (5) blasphemous thoughts. Point No. 1 and No. 2 also continued.

The obsessions I am getting and compulsions I am performing will not have any relation even logically as said in the above points.

All these time I did not even know it was OCD and did not even get a clue what it was. I thought it must be some thing spiritual or effects of black magic or some thing of that sort.

4. I came to know that this is OCD ( Around June 2009 ) consulted a psychiatrist.He gave me Fluvoxamine tablets - 200 mg) and Olanzapine(2.5 mg) and Propranolol ( Betacap 10 ). Initially I got some response around 20% of the thoughts was less and to some degree I was able to control by compulsive behaviour too. This response was achieved in a period of 2 months. I continued these medication for around 1 year. But after that I had no improvement after the initial improvement of 20 % .

Till this date I was working in a software company.Then by Dec 2009 I quit the company and opted for some full time certification course.

5. Then I came to know about NIMHANS ( www.nimhans.kar.nic.in ) where there is a special department for OCD. I went for consultation on June - 01 -2010 .

6. They asked me to stop all the previous tablets and start fluoxetine ( 2* 20 = 40 mg) for 15 days and come back. I had no improvement.

7. Then I went again on June-15-2010 . Then a detail interview was done on the various obsessions/compulsions and they recommended Sertraline tablets ( 2*100 = 200 mg ) in the Night and they asked me to continue fluoxetine tablets ( 2* 20 = 40 mg ) in morning.

8. At the same time I consulted a homeopathic doctor and got some medicines ( I really do not know what combination is there in those medicines )

9. Yes now I could see some improvement. So there was 65 % improvement in a period of 0-25 days( I mean the thought intensity was reduced by 65%) . Like if I used to get 100 thoughts in an hour at this time after all these medications I used to get only 35 thoughts per hour).

10. Among the 35 % thoughts that I used to get I was able to resist the compulsive behavior in 45% of the times. Rest I had to give in and do the compulsion.

11. I went to NIMANS again on June -29 - 2010 . They asked me to continue the same medications for 1 month.I could see 3-5 % improvement.

12. I again went to NIMHANS on July - 27- 2010 . They gave me the following medications . 7 days to continue fluoxetine 20 mg tablet 1 in the morning and then stop it. 100*2 = 200 mg Sertraline in the night for 3 months and a new tablet - Clonazepam Dispersible Tablets ( Clonotril - 0.5 mg) 1 in the night for three months.

When ever I get prescribed with a new tablet I use to search on the Internet regarding its uses , side effects and feed back.
For Fluvoxamine tablets , fluoxetine tablets and Sertraline tablets I could see it in the internet these are given for OCD.
But the new one - Clonazepam Dispersible Tablets ( Clonotril - 0.5 mg ) is not for OCD . Please refer to this page -
depression/antidepressants/list-of-antidepressants/menu-id-68/" class="postlink">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam%20and%20http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/antidepressants/list-of-antidepressants/menu-id-68/
it is mentioned that Dizziness , Cognitive impairments like Hallucinations , Short-term memory loss , Anterograde amnesia (common with higher doses) are some of the side effets .It is also mentioned that it can cause or worsen depression , Serious psychological and psychiatric side-effects , Induction of seizures or increased frequency of seizures , Personality changes , Behavioural disturbances.
I even read that "If used for antianxiety treatment: This drugs should not be taken for more than four weeks"

Also I could see this Clonazepam Dispersible Tablets is not at all mentioned under the list of SSRI.Please have a look at this page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitor#List_of_SSRIs

Nov-2009 I fell down in my room had a cut in my head. So I met a neurologist . I took EEG and he said there is some problem ( not major ) thing related to seizures ( fits ) and he asked me to take Phenytoin Tablets IP 100 mg - 1 in the morning and 1 in the night for 3 years. I am taking this medicine as well.

Also as I said I am doing a full time certification course on computer networking. I need full attention in the class , dedicated efforts , hard work for at least 6 hours apart from the class timings , concentration and good memory power.
Will these be affected by the Clonazepam Dispersible Tablets I am going to take from July - 27 - 2010 ?

My Details:

Age : 24 years
Sex : male
Location : India
Food : Pure vegetarian.
Family Background : No case of OCD.
Appetite : OK
Sleep : Partially disturbed ( but not causing problem)
Having constipation ( from child hood) and some of the mentioned tablets for OCD increased its severity.
Smoking : No
Drinking : No

Could you please guide me if this new medicine - Clonazepam Dispersible Tablets ( Clonotril - 0.5 mg ) - Can I continue with it ? Is it for OCD ? I am also worried about its side effects.

Please guide me and let me know if you need further details on this.

--
Love,Peace and Empathy
Karthik Aravind
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Hello, karthikaravind,

You are well informed about your condition. The medication information that you have discovered is factual; however, such information is intended to serve for recommendation and guidance for usual use and dosage. It is acceptable and a frequent occurence that uses may be expanded in certain situations. Reaching the best combination and result does involve some trials and adjustments, such as you describe. If you are uncomfortable with the usage of the new medication, please discuss it with your doctor; he or she may be able to reassure you on that point. Clonazepam is actually quite frequently used in the treatment of anxiety disorders over a longer period of time. It may initially cause some drowsiness, but adjustment to it is usually fairly rapid, so that any drowsiness fades. You describe a tightening loop or cycle of OCD symptoms; the goal of treatment for this situation is to interrupt the progression, ease the anxiety and provide behavioral therapy to help overcome the compulsions. I wish you success with your treatment and with your certification course.

Good luck to you.

|