Question: Suffering extreme agoraphobia

lonely_othman - Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 am

I'm suffering form social anxiety since 20 years. I'm still battling with this
terrible illness and now the situation got very complicated. I'm now in an
advanced phase of agoraphobia which means i locked myself in house. It is a
torturing experience for me to go to see a psychiatric. i did so yesterday and
returned terribly traumatized into home .
the psychiatrist prescribed me :
-Seroplex 10 mg ( 1 pill in moring)
-Alpraz 1 mg ( 1/2 morning 1/2 midday 1/2 night)
she asked me to return see her in 15 days .I can't tell you how much i'm
frightened & worried to repeat this traumatizing experience to go see the psychiatrist each 15 days or 1 month!

I want some knowledgeable psychiatrist to help me find a correct and durable
dose for those two drugs that i can take for a long period of time (1 or 2
years).
my questions:
-are these two drugs i described above effective in my situation? are they among the best to cure social anxiety and depression?
-is this current dosage (i described above)correct to take for a long time? and are these two drugs safe to take for a long period of time?
I know you will tell me it is better go see the pshy. but believe me it's difficult to make the trip there. it's far away from my home , i don't have a personal car to ease transportation and Mostly i suffer deeply when i'm outside home and feel terrible panic attacks.
I hope someone could help me describing a dosage that i can take for a reasonably long time until i get better. after that i can try go see the pshy if i manage to. but for the moment going to see her is very traumatizing for me!

Thanks much for helping a desperate Sick man like me!
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Hello, lonely_othman,

I'm very sorry about the level of your distress. I'm also sorry to tell you that there is no way for a psychiatrist to provide appropriate care without seeing you periodically. I realize how difficult it is for you to leave your home, but it is essential. The dosages of the medications you have been prescribed are well within a safe level for continued use; in some cases, a psychiatrist might choose to prescribe up to 20 mg of Seroplex per day, and the usual maximum dose of alprazolam is 4 mg per day in divided doses. Both medications are known to be effective for your condition. There are other medications available if these prove not to be the most effective for you, but that couldn't be determined until you have had time to establish therapeutic levels of the medication in your body. That can take 2 to 4 weeks before the full effect is known. Many psychiatrists also recommend behavioral therapy for persons with agoraphobia; while it also would require you to leave your home, the long term effect would be positive for you. If you have a trusted relative or a friend who could accompany you to your appointments, you may be able to tolerate the experience better. I hope this information is helpful to you, and I wish you the best of luck.

|