Question: Sympton: Talking without knowledge of it

trueko - Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:46 am

I guess I am going for a long shot in the dark here; but I have something that has been bothering me for about 3 years now that I have noticed and I am wondering if it is a sympton of some disorder.

This thing happens to me I have noticed when I am hung over from alchohol after a night of heavy drinking or under a good deal of stress. It is almost like what I am thinking, could be thinking, have had previous thoughts of or what I am feeling is put into words and verbally spoken out of my mouth. When it happens I have no memory of it, it's almost like I am blacked out or unconcious when it happens, its almost like my memory disapears for the 1-2 seconds it happens.

The only way I know it is happening is when the poeple around me look at me oddly and ask did I just say that, and they repeat back to me what I have said.

This is very scary and alarming; I also have a long and colorful history with a few phsyciatric disorders, drugs, alchohol abuse, substance abuse, depression, anxiety, etc. But at the moment those are irrelavant issues and this one "non-cognitive talking with-out memory" of the event is the only apparent issue. I am 24 years old.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Hello trueko,

I don't wish you add to your fears and alarm, but will give you an overview of some potential contributors to your memory loss episodes. The fact that your episodes of memory loss happen after heavy drinking and that you have a history of substance abuse could be very significant in what you are experiencing. Your psychiatric history could also be a contributor. With any substance abuse, there is a certain amount of loss of brain cells. Normally, we have plenty of them, so in occasional use of alcohol, for example, there is no noticeable difference. The effects can be cumulative, however, so repeated episodes of abuse or heavy alcohol use can cause such black-out experiences. That's the most likely cause of what is happening to you. There is also the possibility that these episodes could be related to a psychiatric diagnosis; memory issues are a factor in several types of diagnoses. Memory problems can be possible side effects of prescription drugs. Brief memory loss episodes can be the early signs of dementia, or of certain neurological disorders. Dementia is not likely to be a factor, since such diagnoses rarely occur in your age group; it would be considered, though, if other more likely diagnoses are ruled out.

You didn't specify what your colorful psychiatric issues were, but if you wish, you can tell me and I'll review them for memory loss symptomatology. You are right to be alarmed, though, and I encourage you to see your doctor and/or your psychiatrist to review what is happening to you. It would be helpful for you to make a note of how often such episodes have occurred, and what you were told you had done or said, and take it with you to your medical and/or psychiatric appointments. There are several memory screening tests available for your doctor or psychiatrist or therapist to use in assessing the extent of your problem, and they are easily administered. Based on the overall examination, your doctor might recommend a neurological evaluation. If that's not found to be necessary at this time, you can always request one if your symptoms persist.

Good luck to you.

|