Question: Constant Faitgue - side effect or something else?

student1987 - Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 am

In Jan this year I came off effexor following a hypomanic episode. After this I had huge trouble sleeping at night and became very depressed. Following this I was detained under the mental health act and recommenced on Venlafaxine (effexor) 150mg and since then I have found I can sleep . . . However, I am sleeping constantly. To the point where the fatigue is interfering in my life. Everyone is saying how tired I look and I literally sleep AT LEAST 12-14 hours a day where possible (I'm lucky as I'm home from university at present and so don't need to be up for classes etc.). Is this a side effect of the Effexor or is it something else? I recently gained 22lbs to get back into the normal weight range after my bmi dropped to 17, could it be linked to weight gain?

Thanks,
Kirsty
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi student1987,

A 22-lb weight gain to restore weight is not likely to be the cause of your fatigue. Effexor is noted to cause somnolence in some people. Low thyroid can cause the type of fatigue you describe, but a much higher weight gain would be expected in that case. Since you have Bipolar Disorder, another possibility is the deep depressive pole of your condition. You could try a regular, mild exercise program, as a daily walk, to see if it helps alleviate your symptoms. However, the best approach really is to talk with your doctor about the degree of fatigue that you're experiencing. Some people find it helpful to keep a record of their sleep cycle and any other symptoms of fatigue, so that the doctor has a clear record to review in assessing the problem. Your doctor may consider reducing your dosage of Effexor slightly, or prescribe an alternate anti-depressant.

Good luck to you.

|