Question: can there be an addiction to antidepressants

jase707 - Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:02 am

well, my friend took paxil and i mean the strongest doses of paxil. she had panic attacks, and i understood that she might need it, but in the past week she had two panic attacks, after going to college, and she said she is now perscribed an even stronger med. she is quite smart when it comes to medications, but i am not so sure if she really needs that "strong" of a med. she says it is the max form of an antidepressant or what not. so my questions are: does she need the drug or can she seek psychiatric help? do you think she may be addicted to the effects of such a drug and just wants a stronger form?
 EFOLKEN - Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:59 pm

AS A FORMER ABUSER OF A ANTI-ANXIETY DRUG (ZANEX). By abuse I mean I partied on the drug.(took it out of choice not neccessity) I would say no it is not addictive, but could be if she has an addictive personality, If she feels she can not go on without the drug. she may have a problem. I believe this specific type of drug has no physical addiction involved. I used, with large amounts of alcohol, and found the effects euphoric..... maybe like acting really drunk and not remembering anything. to me it was all in fun.... kid's stuff right, really i would consider therapy over a prescription to this type of drug, because the drug don't cure the problem it just loosens your whole mindset you no longer really worry about stress related problems.

and that is my thoughts but im no professionnal so consult your doctor, before making any rash decisions.
life is too short to stress about anything SMILE!!!!!!!!!
p.s.
clean for over two years..
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:24 pm

User avatar jase707,
Your friend should go to see a psychiatrist. She should not prescribe antidepressants for herself. To answer your question, Paxil in particular is not addictive and the max dose to take for panic disorders is 60mg/ day.

|