News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: can there be an addiction to antidepressants

jase707 - Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:02 am

well, my friend took paxil and i mean the strongest doses of paxil. she had panic attacks, and i understood that she might need it, but in the past week she had two panic attacks, after going to college, and she said she is now perscribed an even stronger med. she is quite smart when it comes to medications, but i am not so sure if she really needs that "strong" of a med. she says it is the max form of an antidepressant or what not. so my questions are: does she need the drug or can she seek psychiatric help? do you think she may be addicted to the effects of such a drug and just wants a stronger form?
 EFOLKEN - Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:59 pm

AS A FORMER ABUSER OF A ANTI-ANXIETY DRUG (ZANEX). By abuse I mean I partied on the drug.(took it out of choice not neccessity) I would say no it is not addictive, but could be if she has an addictive personality, If she feels she can not go on without the drug. she may have a problem. I believe this specific type of drug has no physical addiction involved. I used, with large amounts of alcohol, and found the effects euphoric..... maybe like acting really drunk and not remembering anything. to me it was all in fun.... kid's stuff right, really i would consider therapy over a prescription to this type of drug, because the drug don't cure the problem it just loosens your whole mindset you no longer really worry about stress related problems.

and that is my thoughts but im no professionnal so consult your doctor, before making any rash decisions.
life is too short to stress about anything SMILE!!!!!!!!!
p.s.
clean for over two years..
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:24 pm

User avatar jase707,
Your friend should go to see a psychiatrist. She should not prescribe antidepressants for herself. To answer your question, Paxil in particular is not addictive and the max dose to take for panic disorders is 60mg/ day.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here