News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: panic attacks

abigail12883 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 pm

hi, my name is abby, im 13 and i have been having constant panic attacks, and have had some trouble breathing, and ive been passing out. i havent old my family, and im not quite sure to do. please help.

thanks,
abigail smith
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:16 am

Hi abigail12883,

A panic attack has many symptoms, like a pounding heart, sweating, trembling, feeling like you're smothering, a choking sensation, chest pain or pressure, nausea, dizziness, feelings of unreality, fear of losing control or going crazy, fear of dying, tingling sensations in arms and legs, and chills or hot flashes. Panic attacks can be unexpected, or they can be in response to a specific type of situation (for example, seeing a snake, speaking in public, or parental arguments). Although the panic attack itself has many possible symptoms, the panic attack IS a symptom. Panic attacks are one of the symptoms of many different types of anxiety disorders, from agoraphobia and panic disorder to a specific one of the anxiety diagnoses or obsessive-compulsive disorder. Post-traumatic stress disorder also has panic attacks as a symptom. A panic attack that results in the person passing out is serious, and should not be ignored. It is beyond the point of relaxation exercises as the sole treatment. It is a real symptom, and should be respected as such. Because of your age, you will have to involve your parents so that you can receive medical help to overcome the condition that is contributing to the panic attacks, whatever that condition might be. It would be a good idea to see a psychologist or psychiatrist, as they are experts in dealing with such disorders. Please feel free to use this information in any way needed to help you tell your parents about this situation.

Good luck to you, Abigail. Please let me know if I can provide any further information.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here