Question: Some questions about depression. I'm in Canada.

Pierre95 - Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi. I want to keep this short. I live in Toronto. I am not currently on any medication, I've never been diagnosed for anything. I don't have any allergies. As far as health goes, I'm as healthy as I could be, except for being underweight a little. But I believe I am technically depressed. I never thought that way about myself but for a while now, I actually told myself that I am this way and since I did, I believe I should start taking medication because it would help me. By the way, I am depressed, but I'm not "suicidal" depressed. I've never seriously considered suicide and I don't cut myself or anything, but I also don't function as I should. I read a list of "symptoms" depressed people have and I pretty much fit all of them, so I won't list them all about myself.

So anyway, I want to go to a clinic and talk to a doctor about it (I never did) and hope that he will give me some medication to help me with this. What I want to know is, how much is this going to cost me? It seems stupid but it's pretty important. I'm a student and don't really have money coming out my ears. I don't have a job either but I will get a part-time job soon. Can anyone tell me how much I can expect to pay for medication for depression?
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:07 pm

Hi Pierre95,

The cost of any medication can vary considerably among pharmacies and according to whether the person uses generic or name-brand drugs. The least expensive in any case is the generic forms of drugs, and the best price is probably found at discount pharmacies. The estimated costs for 5 different, effective antidepressants are:

bupropion - 2 to 4 doses daily - $45 to $90 US per month
fluoxetine - 2 to 4 doses daily - $45 to $90 US per month
paroxetine - 1 dose daily - $25 to $30 US per month
sertraline - 1 dose daily - $35 to $40 US per month
citalopram - 1 dose daily - $40 US per month

Note: citalopram is a medication that while effective, it can be difficult to discontinue, and can result in severe symptoms known as "Discontinuation Syndrome." If this is the medication of choice, when it is time to discontinue it, discontinuation should be done very slowly, titrating the dosage downward over a period of 2 to 4 months or more. Physicians have found that these effects can be considerably reduced by prescribing fluoxetine while citalopram is being discontinued, and then discontinuing the fluoxetine.

Depression is fairly common in students during the later high school years and during college, due to the stresses of study, planning for the future, and increasing responsibilities. You are wise to be aware of the symptoms and to seek appropriate health care. I hope this information is helpful to you in making your health care decisions.

Good luck to you.

|