Question: Why has my friend's behaviour changed so dramatically?

leafy1 - Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:44 am

I have a 23 year old female friend, and literally overnight she started acting really energetic and hyperactive, and I mean to the point of being extreme. And she suddenly "seems" really happy as well, although nothing has happened to make her happy, in fact she is going through a lot at the moment. Previously, she was what society would deem as "normal", mood and energy wise. I know for a fact that it is definitely not drugs, so what else could it be? Could it be a coping mechanism??
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Hi -

What your friend is experiencing could be a coping mechanism, or it could be a reaction to a stressor in her life, or it could be a developing Bipolar Disorder with a manic phase presenting first. If it persists, encourage her to see her doctor for evaluation of her symptoms and a possible referral for psychological evaluation. Have you and she talked about it at all? If not, that would be a good place to start: tell her what you have noticed, express your concern, and offer to be as supportive as you can. She's fortunate to have a friend who cares about her welfare.

I hope this is helpful.

|