News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Mental illness

ciittygirl - Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:44 am

My mother accuses people of stealing her belongings all the time and later finds them, and never apologizes. She gets real angry with the person she accuses. She also will stay up all night going through paper work of my dead aunt, saying that there's wills and estates. She also believes people are trying to kill her or set her up. She doesnt enjoy the joys of life! i would like to know what can possibly be wrong with her, so i can seek medical attention.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:38 am

Hi ciittygirl,

The best first step with such a problem is to encourage your mother to have a complete physical examination. She sounds very stressed by her concerns. Physical conditions can add considerable stress to a person, so that their thought processes become very narrowed and ruminative. Another possibility is Major Depression, which affects the person's emotional stability, ability to think clearly, and can exaggerate the person's fears about other situations and people. Her doctor can assess her mental status and make a referral to a mental health professional if that is warranted. A mental illness is a possibility, and would also be evaluated by the mental health professional. Since we are unable to see or evaluate your mother, I can only give possibilities. I can reassure you though, that whether it is physical or emotional, there are many treatment options for her.

Good luck to you and to your mother.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here