Question: I like to eat frost out of the refridgerator. Am I crazy?

Alsan - Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:44 pm

As a young girl (6 or 7 yrs.) I would eat the sandstone off of our house. I said I liked the taste and how it smelled.
I have also ate frost out of the freezer and refrigerator freezer and was told by my mother that it is harmful. Is it really or was she just pulling my leg?
 gabesmom - Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:15 pm

i am sure that it is harmful................weirdo!
 mdsl - Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:01 am

hmmm - I never ate the sandstone but I used to scrape a cup of frost from the top of the freezer and eat it from the cup with a spoon!

My nan said it was poisonous but I was never sick!
 mahart - Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:20 am

I know this sounds crazy but I heard a doctor say that things like this can be caused by an iron deficiancy. I don't know why but he said that not getting enough iron in your diet can cause a sort of compulsive behaviour to eat non nutritional things like dirt and ice. Totally wierd right.
 mdsl - Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:31 am

Wow really? I was anaemic for 11 years as a child so it does make sense to me
 aximilli92a - Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:05 am

It is called Pica-- eating nonutritive (non food) items. Google it to get more information. And despite the other person's comment you are not a weirdo.
 crbrooks - Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:20 am

if you thinks thats odd hang around a preganant woman for a few days and then you'll see someone thats eating odd things. I knew someone that craved laundry starch.
 jenner - Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:43 pm

I've done it too... and haven't died yet... and I am anemic also. :)
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:39 pm

yea...that could be the answer, iron deficiency, but you could just be freaken weird ya know. it doesnt always have to be a freaken medical issue. Just search porn, you find a lot of weird things. (i did not say this)
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:55 pm

PakMan1618, please refrain from giving your opinion if you are not here to help.

People's odd cravings do often point to a deficiency. Some products can be harmful. Frost off of the freezer, one of the fairly safe ones as long as nothing has "grown" in it. Chocolate is probably the best example for females. We usually have the strongest cravings during the week before menstruation. Oddly enough, it contains magnesium, which our bodies need more of at that time of month.

And honestly people. If you don't have something supportive or educational to say, please keep it to yourself. I do not give of my time to support rudeness.
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:23 pm

Sorry, if that sounded rude. But not everything is a medical issue. Do they not say health is individual? Meaning we are all unique. What if she just likes frost shavings because she just likes it? There isnt an answer to all of lifes mysteries, nor is there one answer to all of lifes problems. Thats the clean version of what im saying
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:30 pm

Apology accepted because it did sound rude...and consumption of ice is a common sign of iron deficiency. Consumption of toxic substances can be a medical deficiency or could be a psychological problem that must be addressed before permanent damage is one.

This is why I try to take these subjects seriously. I am trying to give assistance to those who need reassurance or suggestions of whom to contact. You said in an earlier post that you are going to be a doctor someday. At that time you will understand how serious we take our jobs.

You take care!
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:38 pm

Im really sorry, but i just got really mad at a post about a person telling a sexual story of himself in a japanese bathroom, and etc....
but i find this website really interesting and im thinking about reading every post and sitation and answer, cause im really interested in the medical field, but I'm have no self confidence in my intelligence, which makes me depressed at times
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:34 am

Considering this is a medical website and people are looking for answers from certified professionals, I do not believe that you fall into the qualified category. If you answers were only supportive I would not have a problem, but some of your answers have been inappropriate and dangerous.
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:11 am

im really interested in the medical field, but I'm have no self confidence in my intelligence, which makes me depressed at times

Read and learn. Unless you have the medical knowledge to share, take in as much information as you can. Assumptions should be kept to yourself and if you would like to ask one of the professionals their opinion of your assumption, feel free. But do not offer advice without the medical education, please.

I hope you've had a good day. You seem to have much ambition. Keep that up! You'll need it when you follow your dreams! :D

|