Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Paxil the drug from hell? please help

Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:45 am

Well I was thinking of going on this drug after watching the commercial on TV and hearing some good things about it on the official Paxil website but after going to a unofficial website with regular people who took the drug for reasons i'm afraid to go on this people are saying it caused their anixety, depressions, etc. to get worse while some people said it caused them to get cancer huge weight gains etc. after taking the drug. Also the side effects are awful and also people killed family and friends while on this drug too. This is scarying me so please help me here and thanks

The site that I found out about all of this was at....

xxxxxx

I wanted to go on it for my aniexty and depressions but now I don't think so please help and let me know what you think I should do after reading that link I gave you thanks
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:24 am

User avatar First of all, Paxil does NOT cause people to kill thier families! It does not cause cancer! These people do not understand how these medications work, nor what the ingredients are. The FDA would never approve such a chemical. Many of these effects people describe do not have anything to do with the drug. People usually write in only to complain about the drug's side effects, genuine or not, usually not in praise of it, too, so remember you are usually only talking to people it didn't work for, which can happen.

That being said, there can be some unpleasant side effects, weight gain is possible, but no effect on weight and weight loss have also been reported. It can sometimes have the opposite effect and make anxiousness worse. All the side effects are what could POSSIBLY happen, they do not happen to everyone.

If you are uncomfortable with taking Paxil, discuss with your doctor the many, many other options to help you with your depression/anxiety. Whatever you do, do get help, you are more likely to attempt/succeed suicide without medicine than with medical therapy.
 Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:29 pm

ok thanks but how much will this drug change me? Like could it make me into a entirely different person? Will people noticed me act different? Will it get rid of many of my problems in life? Like my social aniexty and depression and Consesive Copolsive disorder or whatever it's called? Especially Aniexty disorder I really want that one gone. But really could this get rid of these problems? Thanks and again will it change my personality? Also will I need to take this drug forever for my problems to be solve or just few a few months or years? I really don't wanna depend on a drug for the rest of my life so this would help if you answer this and again thanks
 PAXILHEAD - Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:38 pm

Paxil Progress is for people that had problems with Paxil, (Or they thought they did) All they do is sit around and blame Paxil for everything. Avoid them at all costs...
 Lil Kis - Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:42 pm

ILovePatients everyone on xxxx are cutting you down saying your lying etc. go check it out.....xxxxxx
and guess what? I think I believe them more than you
 Marmoset - Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:10 pm

TROLL ALERT. This person is obviously cross-posting messages between two websites in an attempt to cause discord. Please stay focused on your efforts to help fellow web citizens with their medical questions. This negative, juvenile baiting is a waste of time.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:42 pm

User avatar Thank you Marmoset. I agree with you. No websites are to be posted in these forums only medical questions. Ilovepatients has given you her opinion and that is final. The user posting this URL risks being permanently banned. Also a little respect and appreciation please for people such as Ilovepatients who are trying to help on a voluntary basis.
 DeLWolcott - Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi. I am a 39-year-old female, Certified Pharmacy Technician and Medical Transcriptionist. My husband is a physiatrist (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation). My anxiety/panic disorder was diagnosed in 1989 and through therapy was controlled until October of 2004, at which time my father-in-law who had been living with us over the summer passed away, and within 2 weeks had over $100,000 damage to our home from different sources. (Sewage backup, severe interior damage from roof leak in main house, tree cut and dropped through roof of garage.) This all happened right around the time of the Florida hurricanes.

I was a mess. I knew I needed something or I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I asked my GP what she considered the best anti-anxiety medication. She said Paxil, gave me samples and for 6 months I was on Paxil CR 25mg.

The medication DID work for me as it muted my feelings, which was exactly what I wanted. I didn't want to get mad because one of the kids knocked some papers off the counter. I didn't want to be yelling at my husband anymore. I couldn't handle all of the run-arounds given to me by insurance companies, roof contractors and construction companies.

My husband went to a CME conference, which happened to be about SSRI's given by the University of California, San Diego. He was told that Paxil was the worst about weight gain and loss of libido. He knew I was upset about my weight gain and he was upset about his "gettin' lucky" loss. He also didn't like how much I slept the entire time on Paxil. They also informed that Paxil is reserved for sexual offenders (libido diminishing), anorexics (weight gain) and something else. I was offended when he came home and told me to stop taking Paxil because of these reasons. I certainly didn't fall into either of these categories, and by gosh because of Paxil he was still intact. They didn't bother to tell him anything about proper withdrawal.

I continued for a couple of days and then stopped so he would quit hounding me about it. 2 days after my final dose I was throwing up, dizzy, overly sensitive to light, noise and touch. For 2 days I pretty much stayed in bed, except for the trips to the toilet. Then I felt a little better. Did pretty good for a couple of days. Day 7, turned into the demon biotch from hell, yelling, back to the original position I was in when I started. I still had not put it all together. Occasional zaps or feelings of electric shock in my head, sometimes radiating through my arms to my fingers. You can hear these zaps. It kind of sounds the same as when you are yawning.

By Day 11, zaps were constant. Blood pressure dropped from a usual 114/76 to 92/78. Arms going numb if they were held up even elbow level for more than 4 or 5 minutes. Headaches. Whooshes, you're looking at one object, turn to look at another object but the brain doesn't catch up for a moment. Someone described it as looking like the ship on Star Trek going into warp speed. Did not feel safe driving as my brain would go into a deja vu thing, or it would feel like I was waking up out of a dream constantly having to refocus myself that this WAS reality.

I was enlightened by others who were going through or had gone through Paxil withdrawal on the safer way to withdraw. Taper, slowly. Since I had been off the medication for almost 2 weeks and I found some samples of 12.5mg CR I would go back on those to see if this indeed help. Wow. Life was back to perfect. My 9-year-old even asked me after school the next day if I had taken my medication because I had explained to her why I was acting so irrationally that previous week.

I have now tapered to 2.5mg. Life is complicated at the moment so I am holding at this dose until the fighting with the roofers, etc...is all over.

SSRI's are not a cure. They do change your personality because they mute your response to stimulators. For me, it was grand because my stimulators were going to lose a limb. I do believe that SSRI's have their place, but drug companies have to quit lying about the side effects and withdrawal symptoms associated with these medications. I did gain weight. Big whoop. Libido? Frankly, hubby got it more while I was on the Paxil because I was more tolerant. The other circumstances in my life were a little more important to me than my pant size going from an 8 to a 14, and 3 fairly young kids added to the stuff happening around me really didn't get me in the mood.

The withdrawal for me was horrendous going cold turkey. I can not imagine what it is like for a child or teen to go through this as their brains and bodies are still growing, and hormones going rampant. I couldn't drive because I didn't feel like I was in reality. When your brain doesn't decipher between reality and dream-state, there is no limit to the possibilities of what can happen.

So no, I'm not anti-SSRI because it didn't work and I just want to blame Paxil for everything. I am a medically educated woman married to a physician who has personally experienced these symptoms. My father is a pharmacist. The Paxil did work, but I will not encourage anyone to start on an SSRI because it is not a cure to the disease. If you fully plan on taking it the rest of your life, don't mind gaining weight, don't mind your senses being dulled not only to the anxiety stimulators, but also the events that should give you joy...then this is the choice for you. If you have hopes of stopping the medication at some point in your life, then be aware of the very possible withdrawal symptoms. Make sure that your physician is aware of proper withdrawal via tapering dose. Be certain that you include your family and friends in the knowledge that you are starting or withdrawing as there will be changes very evident to them. They need and deserve to understand.

I have never used elicit drugs. I am a social drinker, but twice a month at the most. I am not a person to make excuses. The decision is totally between you and your doctor. Please do your research and discuss questions with your doctor that you find in your research. Don't go in blindly because you will not like the sight when you come out.
 pitnation82 - Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:14 am

Ilovepatients,

Have you ever taken Paxil? It's side effects and mind altering powers are something very serious. There are thousands if not more people including myself who have had horrible nasty side effects and withdrawal symptoms. AD's are over-prescribed and extremely dangerous. What the drug companies and yourself claim that this drug does as far as side effects etc..is just the "nicer" more glorious things that happen. Funny how the suicidal thoughts, increased anxiety, zaps, dizziness, flu-like symptoms, bowel troubles, headaches, vomiting, parathesia, numbness, tingling extremities, extreme depression, blurred vision etc etc. is never mentioned. These things are never mentioned. The thousands of people who are addicted to AD's and have to spends upwards of a year or two, sometimes even longer to get off these drugs. Its not fun, and its very dangerous. So unless you know first hand what these drugs do to a person, don't claim to know what its like. :wink:
 Acrobat - Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:00 pm

I mayaswell explain my experience too.

I was seriously depressed and wanted to kill myself etc... I took paxil and after a month or so i was ALOT happier. My mood had just totaly changed and everything was great. I stayed on the drug for about a year and then came off it very slowly. The main reason for coming off it was because i was experience a side effect of lack of sex drive. As a man its more "noticable" because certain things didnt happen when they should have...

Anyway after a few months of not taking it i started to feel depressed again so i started on a new drug which i later found out did nothing to help me. So i eventually got back onto Paxil and eventually (slower this time) my depression went away again.

Now i have been taking it for 7 years straight. Im a bit scared to stop taking it incase the depression returns but i think im going to try. A few things i have learned are these:

1) Stopping the drug or trying to "come off it" too fast gives TERRIBLE!!! withdrawl symptoms. Brain shivers, electric shocks in the head basically, and a really feverish feeling. Its one of the worst things ive ever experienced. So it has to be very gradual.

2) The side effects are awefull for some people. I rather be happy than depressed so i still take it but i have some terrible side effects. Heres a quick list:

1) Lack of sex drive. I don't feel like having sex as often as i should. I sometimes cant get an erection and when i do its not as strong as it used to be. Orgasms don't feel as good and sometimes don't feel of anything at all. Its a total sex killer for me... The worst side effect by far for me.

2) Sometimes i get muscle spazms where i kick my legs or punch my arm or something when i don't mean to. Its never really a problem and doesnt hurt or anything. And its very rare. And it only usually happens when im sleepy and sitting at my computer or something. But i do worry that i might be in bed with a girlfriend and do a big kick that scares her half to death or something.

3) I get a really dry mouth, and also it sometimes makes my smile feel crooked. A combination of the 2 means i sometimes smile and it looks wierd. Sometimes people look at me strangely when i smile like that but luckily its never happened when im with a friend.

4) Intence dreams are a bit more common. And i sleep ALOT.

Overall i would say its been a life saver. It stopped me from killing myself and feeling miserable and actually feeling ill from depression (tired and weak and nervous, and antisocial, and prone to crying). All those feelings have gone. But i still want to stop taking the drug this year because of the side effects. I just hope i have taken it long enough now for the depression to not come back. And i need to make sure i don't mistake any withdrawl for depression returning.

P.S. Advice or comments very welcome!
 bizbizmarite - Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:39 am

Acrobat,
Thank you for sharing your "paxil experience". It is interesting to see that there are other people experiencing similar things.
I took paxil cr almost for a year. I had very similar side- effects that you described. I came off it very slowly and did not experience any withdrawal side effects. Felt very good! It was about a month ago.... but now.......my problems are back.... Paxil abviously does not cure depression, it takes care of the symptoms, right?! I am considering to go back on medication now; afterall, feeling good and not messing up my relationships with friends and family is more important than losing some sex drive. Nobody said that life is perfect :(
Good luck!

Acrobat wrote:I mayaswell explain my experience too.

P.S. Advice or comments very welcome!

DeLWolcott - Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:18 pm

bizbizmarite,

If you hae made your decision to go back to Paxil, at least consider going back at a lower dosage to see if that will alleviate your symptoms. You can always increase the dose after a week if you need to, but you will have to go through stronger withdrawal if you start out at the higher dose.

No, Paxil does not cure depression. It masks it. Somehow we all have to try to figure out how to deal with our depression, and it can seem impossible. Going back on the Paxil will give you the relief you need to possibly get an idea of some coping strategies that may help when/if you decide to try to withdraw again.

These symptoms can sneak up on you at any time, a month after your last dose or even more. They become less and less frequent if you can just weather them out. You'll know when you're ready. Best wishes for you!
 wyfan64 - Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:22 am

I've been on Paxil for over 7 years now, and it was the best thing I ever did! My anxiety had gotten to the point where I would rarely leave my house, even to get the mail. I wouldnt even shower until my husband was home from work, for fear of falling and dieing in my own bathroom! How ridiculous of a thought is that? I did nothing but cry all day, and pace around the house. Once I started on Paxil it took about 2 weeks, and I was feeling much better. Not only did I leave the house, I even went out and got a job! Not just a job, but one driving a school bus even. (talk about stressful LOL) Now mind you I didnt want to drive before either. Didnt really have any side effect from it to speak of. The occasional zap a few days before my period was about it. Well worth it in my opinion. Now suddenly am I am feeling axious again, and I think it may be because my insurance had made me start taking the generic form of Paxil. Seems this all happend about the same time frame. So you cant find the name anymore, due to some manufac. probs. I am switched to Paxil CR now, and still having some problems with anxiety. Maybe it needs time to build up in my system, maybe the dose isnt high enough, who knows? All I know is I would rather have side effects than go back to my pre-Paxil existence.
 DeLWolcott - Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:45 pm

Switching to generic Paxil shouldn't have caused any change in your reaction. Switching to Paxil CR could cause subtle symptoms for a few days.

Paroxetine, in any form, needs to be taken as close to the same time of day as possible. The reason for this is that both forms (immediate-release or controlled-release) have the same half-life, or are at their fullest strength in the system, is approximately 21-hours after ingestion.

Immediate-release - Enters the blood stream within 30 minutes after taking and continues at the same strength through the blood stream for 20 to 21 hours.

Controlled-release - Enters the blood stream anywhere from 1 to 5 hours after taking, but only remains constant in strength between 15 to 20 hours.

Switching to the CR adds just a few extra hours, which could bring on what they are now terming "discontinuation syndrome", or the very beginning symptoms of withdrawal. BUT this will clear up after a few days of continuing the CR.

If your bothersome symptoms continue after a few days, be sure to contact your physician. The dosage conversion form IR to CR should be confirmed. Also be sure to check that you were given the correct strength at the pharmacy.

Here's hoping things calm down for you soon!
 spaztyckyttyn - Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:51 pm

I had been on Paxil for about 7 years when the generic was released. Due to insurance reasons, I switched to generic. After being on the generic for several months, my OCD gradually returned in full force, and I experienced all sorts of not-so-fun symptoms one would associate with paxil withdrawal. My Dr. told me I have "failed generic paxil" (more like, it has failed me!), and has put me back on the name brand. Only this time, instead of immediate release, I am taking controlled release pills. Should I expect these to work as well as the original name-brand, immediate release drug?
 DeLWolcott - Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:10 pm

Truly, the only difference between Paxil and Paxil CR is that it takes longer for the CR to be released into the system. Their half-lives are almost identical, with the CR actually having a shorter half-life than the regular. To explain:

Paxil - released full strength into body with 30 minutes to an hour after ingestion without a decrease in amount in the blood stream for 21 to 24 hours.

Paxil CR - Not released into blood stream for 2-6 hours after ingestion without a decrease for 18-21 hours.

The generic should not have failed you, but since it apparently has it may still be better for you to remain on the regular Paxil instead of the CR for the longer working time period and for the lower cost. Restarting the brand name, give yourself a week or two before making any judgements as to your body's response this time around as it does take time to build up.

Take care of yourself, watch out for other side effects, and continue to get other therapy outside of the medication as Paxil is not a cure, but rather a cover-up. Good luck!
 TommyR - Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:43 pm

Hello. I'm new here today. 47 years old. I started taking generic Paxil about a year and a half ago and it has worked wonders for me personally. I started on 10mg (half a tablet). about 3 months ago I upped my dose to a full 20mg tablet which seemed to help more. I take it for High anxiety and panic attacks. I would get very verbally angry at almost an stressful situation, cry sometimes for no apparent reason. I was a mess. This started a few years after my mother passed away from cancer and I started having pains in my chest and I though *I* had cance and worried myself sick. Turns out I have arthritis in my upper and lower spine that causes these pains.

Being a slightly built guy Paxil added 34 pounds on me within the first year which was o.k. with me as I needed it. I look MUCH better now as a result. Before I started I was 115 lbs and now I'm at 142. I'm 5' 8" tall. The only real BAD side effect so far is loss of orgasms. This to me is a REALLY BIG negative. I have now cut back to 10mg and have started taking Gingko biloba today as I heard it can be an antidote for the orgasm problem. Man I hope so.

Any tips for correcting this problem would be welcomed.

Happy holidays and New year to you all.

Tom
 TommyR - Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:44 pm

Happy holidays and New year to you all.

Tom
 jellyfishattack - Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:19 pm

User avatar Have you considered taking a different antidepressant, e.g. Wellbutrin or Manerix (moclobemide), that is less likely to affect your sex life?
 TommyR - Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:26 am

jellyfishattack wrote:Have you considered taking a different antidepressant, e.
g. Wellbutrin or Manerix (moclobemide), that is less likely to affect your sex life?

Not really. I cut back to 10mg and I'm back to "normal". Thankfully.
 funkytunaeggroll - Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:58 am

I'm female, 29 years old. I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder in 1998 and was prescribed Paxil. I took it for 8 years, and don't remember any kind of weight gain with it (that came when I had my son). I was bumped up to 60 mg at one time, but went back down to 40mg with the addition of Klonopin to my meds. During those 8 years, there would be times when I could not afford my medication, and I did not know of the gov't programs my state has. I would go a few days without taking the Paxil and got the withdrawl symptoms. I was scared out of my mind for years that I would be on it always, and would never be able to come off.

Last December, I decided I would try something else. The only side effect the Paxil gave me was loss of iibido, and my psych. reassured me that with while taking Lexapro, and tapering slowly, I could come off of it just fine. And I DID!! It was wonderful. I was finally free.

Then a few weeks ago, I started getting very anxious and irritable. I was crying all the time, not sleeping, not wanting to leave the house, I was a wreck. It took me a while to realize whta the problem was, but I finally figured it out - the Paxil really DID work well for me. Today I called my psych. and told him I want back on the Paxil. To hell with loss of libido - my husband and I are just fine and he wants the "old me" back. Besides, I didn't notice a change with the Lexapro.

So I say - go with what works for you. I'm going back to the Paxil - I said it in 1998 and I will say it again now, it has TRULY saved my life.

-KA
 TommyR - Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:24 am

funkytunaeggroll wrote:I'm female, 29 years old.

-KA

Good for you KA! It really has helped me, just 10mg keeps me fine. I went though the crying, anxiety and panic attacks and man it is NOT FUN at all.

I'm happy for you!

Tom
 DeLWolcott - Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Everyone has to make their own decisions when it comes to their medical regimen. The most important thing a person can do for themselves is to make sure they are fully educated, knowing what to watch for.

These medications have been lifesavers for many people. Be fully educated and realize that in the end they cure nothing. Take the time the medication is working to deal with the issues that are causing the need for the medication.

Continued success!
 IStars - Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 pm

My "family doctor" put me on Paxil after I saw him for my psychological symptoms which included mood swings, impulse control, cutting, eating disorders, anxiousness, an inablility to deal with triggering situations.

Ladedah, Post traumatic stress disorder....

But he saw "bipolar".

He put me on Paxil, and a few weeks later I ended up in the psych ward after trying to commit suicide.

so, seriously see a psychiatrist before choosing an antidepressant, not just a primary care physician...

I was put on Effexor afterwards (ummm another kinda dumb choice considering the withdrawal symptoms include ANOREXIA... and I already struggled with that...) but it did help while I was at my worst...

Different antidepressants are made for different disorders.

|