News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Adult ADD?

aadams - Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:18 pm

I was curious as to the syptoms of Adult ADD and how do I know if I have it? I lose track of what I'm doing and forget things all the time. I can have full converstaions with someone and then not be able to tell you a thing they said afterwards - I block them out w/o even realizing until afterwards that I have. My sleeping habits are pretty normal. I'm not real sure what other symptoms there are. Also, what are the side effects of prescribed medication for Adult ADD? Can anyone help me out here? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Mandy
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:01 am

User avatar Have you had these symptoms your whole life? Adult ADD is most often a continuation of childhood ADD; it is thought to be inherited. Were you in trouble at school, or have problems keeping good grades? Do you have trouble making decisions? Do you get caught up in destractions and begin focusing on them instead of the task you were working on?

To find out for sure, you need to see a psychiatrist, they have the tests to properly diagnose and treat ADD.

First line of treatment is with stimulation type medications, since true ADD sufferers have better concentration and memory (waiting until the last minute to do deadlines, thus adrenaline helping concentration).

All medications have side effects; talk to your doctor about them. :D
 aadams - Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:25 pm

Thank you for replying - YES...I had almost all of those symptoms as a kid. I was always in trouble at school, but can't that be just because I chose to be rebelious? I did always have problems keeping good grades - even when I tried. I STILL tend to get caught up in destractions and begin focusing on them instead of the task I'm working on. However, I really don't want to see a psychiatrist for 2 reasons. 1) I don't have the money or the insurance and 2) I don't want anything like that about me written in official medical documentation. I'm just curious as to if this could be something I have?

Mandy
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:16 am

User avatar It sounds very much like adult ADD; but there is formal testing to confirm that, only a psychiatrist can diagnose.

I understand about the lack of insurance, but I don't understand your concern about it being recorded. Medical records are confidential by law, no one is going to see them but you and your doctor. It isn't even considered a mental illness, just a disorder.

If it is, ADD can very negatively affect your life, cause great difficulty in keeping a job, learning new things, and much frustration for you and the ones close to you, being unable to complete things, or taking forever to do simple tasks. I guess you need to decide on the lesser of the two evils. :D

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here