Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: antidepressants

Rachel_j - Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:41 pm

how do i go about getting antidepressants, n will they work? do i need parental concent?? please wb :?: rachel :?:
 stephanie0107 - Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:39 pm

Hello Friend,
Some additional info (your age, is the depression intermittent or constant, has there been a recent event that triggered the depression, are you having any thoughts of suicide, are you able to go about your daily activites, any family history of depression, are you comfortable discussing this with your parents and dr, etc..)would be very helpful, however, I will make an attempt to answer your question based on several assumptions.
First, many patients have had extremely good results with SSRI's (serotonin re-uptake inhibitors) with minimal side effects. My favorite is Prozac and as a plus, it has been on the market long enough to qualify for generic formulas which are of the same chemical compostion as the original brand name. So the price for 20 mg/day is appx. $25.00/mo, even less if you have insurance and co-pay. With the SSRI's, they work with your normal body chemistry to enhance your feeling of well-being, motivation, decreases OCD's (obsessive compulsive disorders) such as binge eating, shoplifting, among others. Once you start taking most anti-depressents, you will not notice an immediate change, but they will work in appx 10-14 days. Just 1 day you may notice "hey, you know what, I feel ok, things just might be ok for me afterall". I would highly recommend that you talk to your parents and make an appt to see your dr. If he shys away from rx you an anti-depressant, be honest with him and tell him how long you have been feeling low and if any thougts of suicide. It is very normal for folks to feel depressed from time to time, but if it is constant and ongoing, then it is time for medical intervention. Good Luck. Let me know how you are. Please be sure to talk to someone immediately. There is nothing for you to be ashamed of, the brain is unbelievably complex and easy for things to get unbalanced from time to time. Be well my friend. Life is not always grand, but the good times should balance out the bad and give you the strenght to carry on. Look to the future. :D

|