Question: Finding the answer to your 1.5yr olds fear

Coast2Coast - Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:00 am

Hi, I'm not quite sure if this is the place to be posting, maybe its Neur. But, I need some advice and/or help.
My 1 1/2yr old son loves music. Every single song in the world.... Almost. The main song my mom and I use to sing to him was the sweet lullaby "go to sleep, go to sleep...etc" i'm not even quite sure if thats the main title. However, he loved it.... about 9months ago, anyway.
Okay, moving on... He and I were watching "jojo's circus." A nice childrens show. Jojo was singing to her baby brother the same song, different tune. No problem. I began singing it just because. My son completly freaked out. I sang it again a few minutes later... Again, he began to be hysteric and cried. So, instead awhile later.. I hummed the tune.. Again, he cried.
Later in the day, I showed my mom. It was akward...although, he did the same thing. She went to work. While she was gone, my son and I were humming along with a toy elephant. Having fun, laughing ... so on, etc. Well, I was getting seriously curious at this point. He was playing with a learning table.. dancing and doing a little hum himself... No specific tune of course. Anyway, I began humming the lullaby once again. He quickly turned around and stared at me with big eyes, dropped himself to the floor immediately and became hysteric, again. Cried for about 15mins. He'd keep giving me kisses as if he was in trouble.

Ok, so I just figured maybe it was when i said "go to sleep." But, my son has never ever since he was born reacted to anything like that in his life. He's scared of the dark (as most children are), and isnt very fond of heights. Both understandable. No big deal.... But this particular song.... I'm starting to begin to think something is wrong.

Am I being misled and completly just being paranoid for no reason, or what? HELP!!!
 aximilli92a - Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:51 am

First, you aren't paranoid. it is natural to be concerned for your child. Children learn so much in their first years and they do this by making associations. So what most likely happened is that something your son did not like happened while this song was playing or soon after. Since this is the lullaby you sang to him, he might associate being separated from you with this song-18 months is a prime age for separation anxiety. Or it could be something as simple as a loud noise startling him while this song played. With him being so young it is likely you will never know exactly why he reacts this way but he will almost surely outgrow it.
 Coast2Coast - Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Thankyu so much for the information... I really appreciate it.
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:44 pm

i believe it is jojo the clown. Im not a professional but i hate clowns. if i was a child that hated clowns and heard the clown singing and then my mommy singing the same song i would probably get confused and scared. try seeing if the clown has anything to do with it. maybe he fears you will turn into the clown or the clown is within you

i know its odd but just put 2 and 2 together

clown singing, you singing, mom = clown?
 DeLWolcott - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:01 pm

OK, PakMan, you and I are on the same page here.

Children often do have problems with associations with clowns.

The "mom" part of me suggests that your child doesn't want you singing someone else's version of the song. Your version is very special. JoJo can have her version, but yours is between you and your child.

My daughter would wake up with night terrors fairly regularly until she was about 5 years of age. There was only one way to get her back to sleep, and that was for me to sing the song that I had made up for her as an infant and sang her to sleep with every night. No other song would do...and no one else could sing it - even while she was still asleep!

Take it as a compliment. I do believe your child has bonded totally with you and wants to keep the routine that you share. :D

|