News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Mental abuse

beaty1502 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:54 am

How do you know if you have been emotionally abused and how can you overcome it? I feel that I have been emotionally abused by my father. I am 27 years old and only now am I realizing that our relationship is very unhealthy. My dad has a very controlling nature and is an alcoholic. If i do anything he doesn't approve of he shuts me out and doesn't talk to me. We have went years without talking. The sad thing is he will not tell me what I have done wrong or why he is upset. This has given me a complex about myself. For 27 years I have tip toed around my dad afraid I might do something that he might disapprove of. This is very devastating to me because I always idolized my dad like most girls do but this has effected me emotionally, socially, seriously damaged my self esteem. Should I see a counselor?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:43 am

User avatar Hi beaty1502,
Alcoholism in itself makes for unhealthy relationships. It alters peoples behavior to say the least. I would not assume that you have done anything wrong and would attribute his attitude to the above mentioned (his problem) not yours. I would suggest you seek counseling.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here