Question: Xanax addiction...

jamielb - Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:05 am

I have been taking 1 mg of Xanax every night for two years. I can not sleep without it. What do you suggest? Is there another sleep aid I should try? I have tried over the counter stuff and it just doesn't do the trick. I don't want to be on it for the rest of my life (I don't think my doctor will keep prescribing it). I just can NOT sleep without it.
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:16 pm

Try lowering your dose under the supervision of your physician. There are other "natural" sleep aids out there, but you need to be off of the Xanax before taking them for safety reasons. Try other avenues for lulling yourself to sleep such as music, self-relaxation techniques, or acupressure to name a few.

Something that I was told about yesterday - There is a Feng Shui music CD available in stores now that one of our plumbers swore put him and his wife to sleep very quickly. Music doesn't have side effects, so it is something I'm definitely going to try.

Taper down and be patient with yourself. You can do this!
 leamea - Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:16 pm

I also found checking out lectures on tape (or CD) from the library ,and listening to them after retiring, lulls me right off. Only problem is that if it's an interesting topic, you miss the lecture material and have replay it during the day . I assume a book on tape would also work the same way... kind of like being told a bedtime story :D
 DeLWolcott - Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:13 pm

Nothing has ever put me to sleep quicker than reading a history book. :wink: There are many options and it sounds like you've already come across some on your own! Good luck!

|