Forum Name: Antidepressants

Question: Serzone vs post-natal depression

flipper_in_oz - Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:39 am

my girlfriend has been suffering post natal depression for approximately 4 years and is currently being treated with the antidepressant Serzone (nefazodone hydrochloride).

I have been involved with her for approximately 12 months and have noticed that the only time she seems any agitation/depression etc is when she is prementstrual.

I am convinced that her condition is completely hormonal and am doubting whether serzone is the best treatment for her.

Would it be worth visiting an endocrinologist?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:34 pm

User avatar Premenstrual syndrome includes agitation and depression and is regarded normal. The exact causes of this phenomonon is under investigation and research. One of the theories suggests that estrogen and progestrone may have a role since they are at their peak levels during that period.

Maybe you should question the use of antidepressants for so long after the initial diagnosis. That's a question for her psychiatrist though.

|