News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Do I have depression?

tgr1scr17 - Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:58 pm

i have been on wellbutrin and lexapro for the past 3 years. My doctor says I am depressed because of my mothers death. Even tho i was extremely sad about this, I do not actually think that is the reason. I actually don't think I am depressed. I know a lot of people while taking the medicine think they are not depressed, but Im 18 and I really don't think I have it. Another thing to add to this delima is that i am slightly overweight. I play a sport and i am socially active, but my friends have said the reason if i actually do have depression is because i am overweight. Before my mother died, she wanted me to see a psycologist, because she knew the effect death had on people since she was a nurse, but she told me not to take antidepressants because I was young. I just really would like another opinion about my problem. Thanks.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:27 am

User avatar Hello,

Some risk factors for depression include:
A family history of depression
Death or illness of a loved one
Stressful conflicts, such as fights with family members or disputes at work
Physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.

One of the most recognized symptoms of depression is a profound feeling of sadness, hopelessness or emptiness.The fact is, depression affects plenty of people who don't have any obvious risk factors at all. One of the most common reactions to depression is denial.
Many people do not want to admit they have depression because of the social stigma attached to it.

I think you are doing the right thing by following your Doctor's advice and taking your medicine. If you continue to be confused about your condition, you can always seek a second opinion from another Doctor.

Good Luck.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here