News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: please help, not sure how to handle such stress overload

lkelley05 - Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:58 am

i need help,
i am 27 years old and i am the mother to 3, my youngest child is severely disabled, recently she underwent bilateral hip surgery.
i am feeling very overwhelmed and im not sure what i should do, im a bit embarrassed to talk to my doctor, but i am thinking i need some help, and im not sure what kind of help that may need to be.
i have lost 27 pounds and i cant sleep, i cant seem to eat either as i am constantly feeling alot of nausea.
should i just tough it out or should i make an appointment with my family physician?
any tips on how to broach this subject with the doctor as my doctor always seems so busy.
can stress affect a person in this way?
any help or input will be greatly appreciated
leah
http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1171/38 ... 282852.jpg
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:22 am

User avatar Hi lkelley05,
Stress can have very negative effects on your health. Call your physician's office and request an appointment. When they inquire about complaints, tell them you have had a 27 lb. weight loss, nausea, loss of appetite etc. When you go in for your evaluation be sure to tell your physician all of your symptoms including the stressful events in which you are dealing. He/she may appear busy but I'm sure that time will be made available to you. There may be a support group in your area that could also be of benefit.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 PakMan1618 - Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:45 pm

(not a profesional) Im sure you feel overwhelmed, millions of thoughts of things you have to do. Take a deep breath. Sit down. Take a step at a time.

such methods ive heard of, meditation, excercise, etc.

try to Take time to enjoy life (somehow) or put a smile on someone's face as it will be reflected upon yours. While your making your kids lunch, sing a song, while your helping your children, ask them questions about their day, make them laugh, its really an enjoyable experience to hear a child laugh.

i heard cats also help people's stress and heart problems (somehow)

i hope any of this will give you ideas Goodluck.
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:38 am

Definitely make an appointment with your physician. The stress is taking its toll on you and could get to a dangerous point physically and/or psychologically if it is not addressed as soon as possible. Your children need you healthy and happy more than anything else in this life.

Best wishes, calm and peace to you!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here