News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Could it all be in my head?

hannahsmommy - Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:20 pm

Hello. I have a wacky medical history and am beginning to believe everything is in my head.
I have been going in and out of the E.R. for chest pains that develop when I am finished doing something and relaxing after. I also easily bruise with these little dime sized bruises for no apparent reason, and it is the family joke that my toddlers can poke mommy and she will bruise from it the same day. I get bouts of diarrhea or constipation and bloating, I don't sleep well. I have dizzy spells when I get chest pains... I have had a fast heartbeat for years now of around 114-135 sitting. I have had numerous tests run on me and they always come up negative which is baffling the doctors. I have a history of having 2 blood clots after my last child was born via c-section that settled in my lungs, but have since had a clotting panel done on me that came back neg. too. I get pains in my legs and my arms and numbness and tingling. I get dizzy spells, and my head gets foggy and I cannot remember things well. I will spend a good ten minutes looking for my keys that are hung around my neck. I am to the point of going out of my mind... and am beginning to feel it is all originating there. My doctor last mentioned as a last resort that I may have something called: fybromyalgia, but the bruising throws her off. All of my tests come back normal, and it isn't anxiety related (but I AM getting anxiety from not knowing what is going on after so many years now). Any direction you could lead me to ask my doctor to look in would be helpful, as they are baffled too.
Thank you.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:42 am

User avatar Have you seen a psychiatrist? Not a psychologist or therapist but a psychiatrist, and MD whose specialty is mental disorders.

You do seem to have anxiety. Your tests are all normal and your symptoms are common complaints. Depression/anxiety and other disorders are often associated with the symptoms you describe. If you have been seen by a neurologist for the dizziness and tingling and everything was fine, then I suggest you make an appointment.

There is no test for fibromyalgia, it is diagnosed based on symptoms and is very controversial. It is always associated with depression and anxiety, and very commonly panic disorder. You have very young children, and your complaints are also extremely common in women with young children.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here