News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: My body itches but I can't feel my hands scratching

shelleyn02 - Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:55 pm

I am a 19 year old female and have never had any real problems until recently. The past couple of weeks, there are times when I feel that I am losing my breath and that I am not myself. For instance, I can feel my body itches...my back...and I go to scratch, but I can't feel anything but I know I am scratching. At first I thought it was just my hands were numb or something, but I recently realized it's not just my hands...it's my whole body. I don't know what is going on and I think I am going crazy. I looked up some of the signs that I have been having and it brings up Panic Attacks....but I don't know if that is what it is...and I am afraid to go to the doctor because I really don't know how to explain that I am losing my mind and can't feel anything. if anybody knows anything about this...please help me!
Shelley
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:59 am

User avatar Hi!

I think your doctor would be the best person to reveal your fears of inability at explaining your problems right. I presume that your doctor who prescribed your contraceptive pill Yasmin has also strongly advised you against cigarette smoking while on the pill. Yasmin has also pruritus or itching as its side effect. Yasmin may also cause liver disease called cholestatic jaundice, a disease that can bring about itching.

As for your losing breath and inability to feel your scratching, a psychiatric help would be best sought.

I hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here