News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Replacing addictions.

Hands - Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:47 pm

I ended my ±10 yrs of being a smoker 12-18-03. I quit cold-turkey, with the help & education of whyquit.com.
I felt ill for a week, and went to a clinic, and was treated for the flu. The doctor there gave me the antiviral meds plus an albuterol inhaler when I told him I had quit smoking. The prescription says 2 puffs 3 times a day...

I like the feeling of the inhaler, its fun and replaces the hand-to-mouth action of cigarettes. I limit myself to the number of puffs on my perscription, but I spread them out throughout the day to get more use of it, sometimes I don't even use them all in a day because I want my inhaler to last longer...I may only use it once or twice some days for example. Still, having it around gives me comfort. I know I don't NEED the thing, but I like it!

Ok so my questions are ...

1.) Would any sane doc let someone without asthma have refills on this inhaler just for the heck of it? (can it hurt me if I don't need it and continue use) Maybe I won't feel the same satisfaction after I have been off cigarettes for a longer time, but I'm planning ahead for when the inhaler empties.
2.) What does this thing do, and can it hurt a non-asthmatic person who uses it (not exceeding a normal dose of course)?

Thanks for advice in advance, and sorry for the oddness of my question.
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:13 pm

User avatar Hi!

Congratulations upon entering the healthier lifestyle! Did you know that even people as old as 75 years of age have only to benifit from smoking cessation?!!

Albuterol inhalers are used for bronchospasm (constriction of the tubules of the lung).

"Would any sane doc let someone without asthma have refills on this inhaler just for the heck of it?"

Probably not.

What does this thing do, and can it hurt a non-asthmatic person who uses it (not exceeding a normal dose of course)?

Our website has information regarding the medicine at:

bronchodilators/beta_agonists/albuterol.htm" class="postlink">Click here!

The medicine also has various adverse effects mentioned, which might also want to make you rethink of getting yourself addicted to this medicine, when the adverse effects are all that you stand to gain from it, and perhaps tolerance, which is the phenomenon by which your body will need more and more of the drug to have the same desired effect you once had on your bronchospasm.

Hope this helps,

Warm regards,

Bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here