Question: Is my doctor right ?

AFRAID - Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:33 am

I have felt a bit weird now for about 10 days.
I keep having tense shoulders and neck ache plus tingling in both arms with heaviness at the topof my arms..
I have a tightness in my chest which goes through to my shoulder blades and feels like something is constantly stuck in between my breasts.
I have been more tired than usual..
I suffer with depression and panic attacks but have had them under control with
Seroxat.
I went to my doctor who told me I am suffering from stress and all the tension in my shoulders and the rest of my body is stress related..
So he has given me Zantek to take.. But nothing has changed (mind you that was only three days ago).
I have had a little breathlessness and constantly feel like crying and feel I am going to have a heart attack.

I am not sure if the doctor is right... my friend had the same symptoms and the doctor
told her it was stress. She had a massive heart attack 2 days later.
I am getting so stressed out worrying about dying..
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:06 am

Are you still taking the Seroxat?
How far apart are you taking the two medications?
How was your blood pressure on your last visit to your doctor?
Is your stomach hurting along with your upper torso?

Seroxat is for depression, not necessarily tension. Zantac (Zantek possibly a non-US form) is for stomach acid.

If these symptoms continue, contact your physician for further workup such as an EKG to settle your fear of heart problems. If your symptoms worsen, get yourself to an emergency room for immediate workup. Keep a journal through you day of when symptoms are worse, what helps alleviate them and what seems to make them worse. Note how the timing of the worsening is as it relates to your eating - is it worse before you eat and get better with eating, or does eating make it worse. If this is caused by a possible ulcer (and the pain in the abdomen CAN cause stress and tension), be aware that it could take several days for you to feel a noticeable difference. Also, if your stomach IS hurting, be aware that Seroxat can be the culprit.

Anyway, if you could answer the above questions we could possibly come up with another option of cause for you to discuss with your physician.

AFRAID - Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:36 am

I have been on Seroxat for depression for 10 years.
I had post natal depression after all my children.. The depression causes the panic attacks to kick in.

I have the tension in my shoulders nearly all the time. It is kind of like when you have been
decorating and done to much.
This does not bother me to much..
The main worry is the tiredness and feeling washed out and the tightness in the chest.
The tightness started at 12pm and I still have in now at 4.30pm (uk time).
I just feel like crying...
It feels like I have swallowed something and it is stuck in my chest.
It kind of hurt and aches more when I bend forward I can feel it more between my shoulder blades.

The doctor said the Zantek is for stomach acid that is what the chest discomfort is all about.
i have to go back and see him after 2 weeks.
I just feel like somewas has kicked me in the higher back.

I take 15ml of seroxat liquid in one go have done for 10 years.
My heart does not race.. I just feel tired and sometimes breathless.
I am 40 but am approx 4 stone over weight.. I am dieting already lost a stone.
My blood pressure was 140/80..
Many thanks
My doctor will not send me for a EKG he swears it is not my heart

DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:50 am

The does sound like tension. Your blood pressure is a little high, although not necessarily dangerous at this level. (National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute puts 140 at Stage I hypertension. 139 is considered pre-hypertension.)

Check into the Seroxat side effects. With such a long history, this needs to be reviewed as it can cause fatigue and emotional lability, leading you to stress. Discuss the options and efficacy after such a long period of use.

And again if your symptoms continue, contact your physician. If your symptoms of chest pain get worse, get yourself immediately to an emergency facility.

Good luck!
 AFRAID - Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:15 am

MANY THANKS FOR THAT.
tHE DOCTOR SAID" THE TIREDNESS IS DUE TO EVERYTHING WORKING OVER TIME.
I ALSO GOT MARRIED ON THE 19TH AUGUST AND THAT WAS STRESSFUL BUT I FELT
OK.
MAYBE IT IS A AFTER EFFECT..

iT IS NOT REALLY PAIN JUST TIGHTNESS AND ACHES LIKE YOU ARE COMING DOWN WITH THE FLU.
I THOUGHT IF IT WAS A HEART ATTACK YOU ONLY HAD TINGLING SENSATIONS IN THE LEFT ARM AND HEAVYNESS.

WHAT ARE THE SIGNS FOR A HEART ATTACK SO THAT I DO NOT GET THEM CONFUSED WITH TENSION AND NERVES.

I COULD GIVE YOU A BIG KISS.. YOU HAVE SO MUCH PUT ME AT EASE
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:35 am

Heart attacks in women have totally different and unpredictable symptoms.

Tension can be felt through your shoulders with the pain radiating through your arms (aching) if it becomes that strong. You could also feel through your neck and chest. The neck tension could become so intense that you get spasms in the small of your neck, right in that area below the skull. This in turn brings on intense headaches and all-over-body stress and tension from the pain. (So much for me being a relief source, eh?)

You could get some relief by mildly stretching the muscles in your back, neck and arms.

Head - Lean head to left, front center, and right. Hold each position for about 5 seconds. Do not go to the back center as this only contracts the muscles that you are trying to relax.

Shoulder rolls - arms down, roll shoulders 10 times to the front, 10 times to the back.

Arms - Take right arm, hold out straight in front. Take left hand and gently pull right arm across the front of your body. Do not pull past the point of comfort. Hold this position for about 10 seconds. Do the same with the left arm.

These are basic stretching exercises that should help get that blood circulating and get the muscles stretched out from the tension when you need some relief. Try to take time out to just breathe. Breathe in slowly counting to five and breathe out counting another five. This helps to intentionally get more oxygen in your blood and it's surprising what controlled breathing sessions can do for the brain and circulation.

So start with these basic steps unless there are some medical restrictions on muscle movements from an injury or such. Please let me know how you are doing!
 AFRAID - Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:34 pm

It is 10.30pm and the tightness is still there.
Tried some exercises will keep doing them.
Just been crying the lump sensation in my chest is getting me down.. Just wish it would go away..

I have three beautiful children the youngest being just 1.
I just look at them and think I won't see them grow up.
This is totally freaking me out..
I have had panic attacks and vomiting... shakes fainting you name it with the panic attacks
but came through it.
I have never experienced anything like this before..
I used to take paper bags round with me to hyperventilate in to..

Hopefully it will go away soon.
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:47 pm

Hopefully this WILL pass soon and hopefully the Zantac will begin healing whatever the lump is. It could be as simple as acid reflux that has damaged the esophagus, so keep doing the stretching and breathing as you say you will. If the symptoms have not improved at all after a week of beginning the Zantac, call your physician. You know what to do if the symptoms get worse.

I'll be checking back here often, so vent or question at any time. I'll try to be here quickly to alleviate any more stress that may try to sneak in.

Hopes of relief!
 DeLWolcott - Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Also, being the mom of 3 kids also, don't watch them in a state of worry of what you could miss. Enjoy what you are NOT missing. Lots of hugs to them...and their hugs back to you will feel pretty good. :wink:
 AFRAID - Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:23 am

Sorry it has been so long since I got back to you.
Things did get to a head I ended up in hospital I had a ecg done blood tests and a chest x ray.
I was in alot of pain and thought it was my heart.
It turned out to be a massive panic attack bought on through stress.
I also had some medication for a build up of acid in my stomach.

I am a lot better but still suffer with the nerves.
I have good days and bad days.. hopefully the days will get better.
i feel like I have gone back 10 years as the last major panic attack was over 9 years ago.

I still have a few of the symptoms like the shoulders and back pain.
but I now know it is not my heart it is a panic attack.
 joey3049 - Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:52 pm

I can only describe this as fear and avoidance. Most people who know me would be shocked if they read this. Outwardly I'm confident and funny. But there are things I cannot do. There is no logic to it at all. When my son was small I missed a doctor's appt and was afraid to reschedule. I haven't taken him back and he's never gotten his shots. I 'm afraid if I go now, the doctor will report me for being a bad mother and they'll take him away from me. I adore him. I have never raised a hand to him. He is adored and loved and cherished. BUT WHY CAN'T I DO THIS. My heart starts to pound when I think about it. I know it's neglectful but I'm terrified to lose him. I do this with other things to. There are certain things I just can't do. What is wrong with me?
 AFRAID - Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:13 pm

I honestly do not think any doctors woud think that you are neglecting your son. If you explained the situation..
My son should of had a jab 4 months ago and I have not taken
him.
It is not to late to take him.. honest.
I am the same with Dr's my Dr is great but I get all in a state going to see him . Then my blood pressure goes up. But he knows me now and asks if I am nervous.

When you suffer with nerves I found to avoid things that wound me up if possible. like seeing the health visitors. So I stopped seeing them.
Plus crowded areas.. So I would go to the precint when it was
less busy.
A lot effects the balance of our body and brains.
I know what has started me off again my father had a tumour.
My mother was diagonosed with cancer, My husband had an affair.
My other auntie died of breast cancer and another auntie dropped dead. (All this happened in 1 year this year).
Try to look at anything that makes you nervous the answer
will be there and ask why ?

I found doing yoga helped me cope when having attacks and feeling anxious.
Look after yourself x

|