News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Craving red meat, tender breasts

linj69 - Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:09 am

I am a 34 yo woman and the mother of a 3 yo. I have been craving red meat for about a week, and my breasts have been extremely tender and slightly swollen.
I can't be pregnant since I had a tubal ligation when my son was born, and I have not had intercourse since my last period (since my whole family has had a bad case of the flu.) I took an antibiotic for 10 days and that ended about a week ago, could that be doing something?
I have been very tired, but that could just be signs of getting over the flu and caring for sick kids and husband.
I have no insurance and can't go to a doctor right now. Should I be concerned? What steps can I take to insure that its not something serious?
Thanks for the advice.
 Dr. Russell M - Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:48 am

User avatar Hi!

Is this the first time that you have been experiencing this breast tenderness? Did you have craving for red meat in your earlier pregnancies? When was your last menstrual period?

Performing regular breast self-examinations will allow you to familiarize yourself with your body and alert you when a change in your usual breast tissue is found. Repeating the breast exam and completing a pain diary for a few consecutive menstrual cycles will also help establish whether the pain is cyclic or not.

Other things you can try at home to relieve the pain:

1. Wear a proper fitting bra for support
2. Apply warm compresses to the breasts
3. Take over-the-counter pain medications
4. Lower your fat and caffeine intake
5. Be aware of any foods that may seem to cause the pain to start.

You may want to visit a doctor if:

1. You have any abnormal discharge from your nipples.
2. Breast pain is making it difficult for you to function each day.
3. You have prolonged, unexplained breast pain.
4. You have noticed a lump or mass in your breast.
5. You have any other associated symptoms that you are worried about.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Bill
 linj69 - Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:26 pm

My breasts were tender with my first child, but I have never craved red meat. I usually avoid it.
My LMP was Dec 29th.
I do regular breast exam and I know I have cystic breasts. I have to pay close attention to the nature of the lumps. This tenderness is on both sides and 'universal'. Not one point is worse or better. It's almost a throbbing.
I started taking iron and vitamin E, in case that was the deficiency. It does help some, but the tenderness and cravings are still there.
I took a home pregnancy test and it was negative.
I guess I'll just have to wait it out.
Thanks for the advise.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here