News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: I can't go out!

Andrea359 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:50 pm

I am now 15 but last year i started getting nervous at school especially when there were lots of people around. i started to have panic attacks before i went to school and while i was at school, so i stopped goin altogether my parents tried everything to make me go back to school but i couldn't and a couple of moths ago i started to find it hard to go out at all but everytime i do manage to out if i see someone i get really nervous and go straight back home. What do you think is wrong with me? Also about six months ago i was diagnosed with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Could it have anything to do with my problem with going out?

Thanx
 DeLWolcott - Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:30 pm

Agoraphobia and OCD have a lot of the same characteristics. You can try these outings one at a time, each time trying to make them a little bit longer than the time before. Always keep yourself in safe situations at the beginning with a definite way "out" of the situation if you get too uncomfortable. When you begin feeling the panic attack, try talking yourself through it. You can even do this before you even leave the house. Think about the setting you are about to put yourself into. What are the worse things that could happen and how can you handle these?

I do realize that this is a type of obsessing in itself, but putting this into practice can get you accustomed to situations knowing what your plan is going to be. Feel a panic attack? Instead of running home, how about taking a walk to the bathroom or to an area where you can practice controlled breathing and self-relaxation techniques until you are ready to re-enter the situation. Eventually these reactions you have taught yourself will come naturally and one day you will realize you have made it through an entire event without problems.

These feelings can be overcome. If you feel you cannot attempt these alone, please find a counselor to give personal support during your self-strengthening. You will be able to accomplish this!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here