News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Psychiatry Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Psychiatry Answers List

Forum Name: Psychiatric Topics

Question: Aspergers syndrome

lilysuzanne - Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:15 am

My nephew has been diagnosed with AS. I am confused by the PDD diagnosis' . I have read they are not mental illness, mental retardations or brain disease. It is neurobiological . What would nerves and organism synrome be classified as.? I am missing the jist of it. Also, do you think it is the same as autism. .Some do, some don't some say it is a behavioral developmental order.
 Michele P, RN - Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:19 am

Hi Lilysuzanne,

Sorry to hear you are going through this. I will give you here what Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, (known as Asperger's Disorder or Autistic Psychopathy), & Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) are here:

Asperger's, Autistic Psychopathy & Pervasive Developmental Disorder are characterized by severe impairment in social interaction, repetitive patterns of behavior, & interests.

Autistic children have delays in language or self help skills, which differ from what is listed above.

AD, AP & PDD are more common in boys & onset is later than what is seen in Autism, or at least picked up on later, around ages 6-10. Since AD is not easily recognizable, it sometimes gets confusd with other neurological disorders such as Tourette's Syndrome, autism, Attention Deficit (&hyperactivity) disorders (ADD & ADHD), or Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).

There are criteria that need to be met in order to "classify" a person w/a disorder. I have all this in a book at home, but was able to locate it on a website. I compared the 2 & they are reading the same but this being in simpler terms. If you read through to the bottom, it will show you the criteria for PDD diagnosing vs Autism.

http://www.bbbautism.com/diagnostics_psychobabble.htm

I hope between that site & what I have given you that answers your question. Best of luck :)
 lilysuzanne - Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:42 am

Thank you MissNurseM,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here